Job Description Summary
The Senior Manager of the R&D Mechanical Engineering department isresponsible for developing the Mechanical Engineering resources,processes, and toolsrequired to design, develop and sustain best in class clinical in vitro diagnostic instruments and consumables. Duties include resource planning andbudgeting for the function, determining skill needs, talent acquisition, performance management,associate development, and allocationof resources to meet dynamic business needs. Provide technical leadership, assessing technology and industry trends to improve performance in key focus areas. Provide guidance to and / or lead project teams by participating in function and business design reviews.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Functional management of the R&D Mechanical Engineering staff
- Interact routinely with R&D Engineering Directors and Vice Presidents on matters concerning mechanical engineering technology and development projects
- Influence R&D function strategy on matters including core capabilities, resource development and utilization, and technology roadmap.
- Align department level objectives to business and R&D strategy
- Define the engineering capabilities required to meet new product development and sustaining objectives. Establishes operational objectives for the department that support business needs and establishes associate goals to achieve those objectives
- Manage the organizational structure of the Mechanical Engineering organization.
- Identify talent and hire associates with the capabilities to resource the new product development and sustaining objectives of the organization
- Assess and manage performance and development of associates within the group.
- Drive technical and process excellence
- Cultivate lean development practices that are fully compliant to applicable regulations for a broad array of products from industrial systems to class 3 IVDs.
- Align processes with the BD (phase gate) Global Product Development System. Drive systems based approach to design and architectural challenges.
- Improve development processes to accelerate concept development and prototyping with the latest simulation and analytical tools.
- Insure the application of statistical methods (Design for Six Sigma) to produce robust, noise tolerant designs.
- Train associates on effective preparation and delivery of technical reviews. Include observations from reviews in performance assessment and development plans.
- Increase design efficiency to reduce development lead time and cost
- Drive cross project standardization and re-use for mechanical designs/components.
- Drive utilization of off-the-shelf, modular components to reduce development cycle and improve time to market
- Benchmark the process and technical performance of the Mechanical Engineering team against internal and external peer organizations
- Apply Mechanical Engineering expertise in a leadership role.
- Provide resources, tools and processes to support product development of complex instrumentation systems and consumables from concept through successful commercialization, within established schedules, budgets, and product cost targets.
- Provide independent technical input to design reviews. Thoroughly assess the ability of proposed designs to meet specified requirements, including performance, reliability, manufacturability and serviceability.
- Engage in strategic planning for system architecture across the breadth of the instrumented product line, from small benchtop standalone devices to full lab automation with broad connectivity.
- Track and Promote reuse of components, sub-systems and modules and leverage designs across platforms to drive organizational efficiency.
- Reduce exposure to risk through long life cycle and obsolescence management
- Provide technology assessment of competitive and targeted systems.
- Provide a technical interface to key opinion leaders and major customers.
- Collaborate with other technical disciplines and across business functions to develop and meet project and business objectives.
- Form effective working relationships with cross-functional leaders and teams to deliver complete product solutions to the market. Engage with Marketing, Field Service, Quality, Regulatory, Planning and Procurement and Manufacturing groups to understand requirements of stakeholders and customers.
- Interact closely with software, systems, and electrical engineering disciplines to develop comprehensive solutions to design problems.
- Provide high-level technical assessments and communications to business leadership.
- Guide ME team members to evaluate and apply engineering principles to fulfill project objectives. Participate in project planning and drive execution to meet project timelines and deliverables.
- Coach, manage, or lead the design effort of major mechanical and electro-mechanical subsystems.
- Participate in project planning and drive execution to meet project timelines and deliverables.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Talent management skills: Coaching and mentoring, dealing with conflict, managing performance and driving achievement. Recognize and deal effectively with low performance. Able to recruit, hire, and maintain high caliber staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills to drive the development of new products
- Strong project management skills. Use of Microsoft Project and actuals reporting to generate earned value metrics
- Ability to applyrisk based decision making skills to situations with ambiguity or conflicting requirements.
- Demonstrated capabilities developing instrumented system physical and functional architecture.
- Technical strength inmechanicalengineering
- High volume, complex molded consumable design including micro-fluidics based systems
- Thermal management and heat transfer – isothermal and thermocycling systems
- Kinematics and dynamics of motion systems and robotics integration
- Motor selection and application
- Fluid mechanics – automated pipetting and pumping, microfluidics in consumable design
- Structural design and analysis
- Electronics & optical system packaging
- Ergonomics and human factors
- Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing
- Application of CAD and CAE tools
- PLM implementation and utilization
- Application of advanced prototyping technologies
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Minimum BS Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology. MS Mechanical Engineering preferred.
- Minimum of eight years of relevant experience with at least five years leading engineering product development teams or functional management of Mechanical Engineers
Job ID R-323403