Manages and oversees the operations of a solid fuel (coal) fired power plant. Responsible for operations reliability, safety, compliance, and financial performance. Ensures plant is prepared to meet system load requirements and proactively monitors operations for efficiency and safety ensuring that all applicable regulatory requirements are followed. Leads and directs the work of others. Oversees technical staff, such as maintenance, engineering, work management/planning, and administrative support. Hires, trains/develops personnel. Relies on extensive experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
- Has management responsibility to ensure a safe production environment that operates within all applicable regulatory compliance requirements, including environmental operating permits, NERC reliability standards, Sarbannes-Oxley processes, RTO requirements, and company policies. Frequently monitors operations for safety and efficiency; periodically conducts field inspections of plants, stations, or substations to ensure normal and safe operating conditions. Identifies abnormalities with power production equipment or processes.
- Has ownership for all the operations and performance of the power plant. Sets organizational priorities and allocates resources to meet plant and business objectives. Adapts plans and adjusts priorities as needed to meet the service and/or operational challenges of the plant. Identifies and resolves complex technical, operational and organizational problems. Monitors the operating status of plants by establishing and reporting of plant and business key performance indicators, and taking or assigning action to close performance gaps.
- Leads and directs the work of plant staff and coordinates with the business unit support group personnel as needed. Oversees staff to provide operations support functions, such as engineering and technical support, maintenance, work planning and execution, regulatory compliance, and administrative support. Manages operations and maintenance employees in the production of power and ensures they are properly trained. Develops and maintains strong relationships with internal and external interfaces and key strategic alliance partners.
- Ensures that a strong performance-driven culture is established and maintained at the plant with frequent engagement with employees at all levels. Guides employees and instills accountability to adhere to and actively support operations code of conduct, procedure usage, and other standards necessary to reduce errors and foster a culture of continuous improvement.
- Responsible for ensuring plant is prepared and capable to meet system load requirements; ensures adequate production levels. Works with system planning organization to maximize plant production.
- Prepares and manages plantbudgets. Implementsprocesses to ensure maximum assetutilization. Continuously monitors performance results againstfinancial and operational goals. Ensures plant resources achieve annual goals and objectives for Power Generation business segment. Evaluates and champions gap closure actions that are consistent with the company's overall business strategy.
Minimum education required of the position
- Bachelor's degree , preferably in a technical field or equivalent work experience
Minimum experience required of the position
- Minimum of 8+ years relevant experience, with prior supervisory/ management experience (preferably in a plant environment)
Minimum knowledge, skills, and abilities required of the position
- In-depth experience in operating a power plant
- Knowledge and technical expertise in power plant operations and maintenance with an understanding of the key drivers for safe, reliable, cost effective and compliant operation
- Experienced project manager with excellent leadership skills
- Desired: experience with Solid Fuel (Coal)
Preference for the following:
- Regulatory knowledge (e.g. OSHA, NERC, FERC, Environmental, other…) associated with operation of a power plant
- Financial management skills with the ability to develop and manage a budget
- Business Acumen/Industry knowledge (regulated/non-regulated environment), including broad business knowledge with understanding of how utilities make money in a regulated market
- Experience operating in an ISO, RTO or similar type market structure
- Ability to manage multiple priorities--effective prioritization of competing issues, recognizing relevant constraints and opportunities
- Effective communication to interact with personnel at all levels of organization
- People management skills, including the ability to effectively coach others and hold employees accountable
- Openness and willingness to explore alternative approaches—willingness to drive change when needed. Ability to lead organization through change management initiatives
Any certificates, licenses, etc., required for the position
Office and plant environment. As a provider of essential services, Entergy expects its employees to be available to work additional hours, to work in alternate locations, and/or to perform additional duties in connection with storms, outages, emergencies, or other situations as deemed necessary by the company. Exempt employees may not be paid overtime associated with such duties.
Primary Location: Louisiana-Westlake
Job Function: Power Plant Operations
FLSA Status: Professional
Relocation Option: Approved in accordance with the Entergy guidelines
Union description/code: NON BARGAINING UNIT-NBU
Number of Openings: 1
Req ID: 82645
Travel Percentage:Up to 25%
An Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disability/Vets. Pleaseclick hereto view the full statement