The Operations Manufacturing Engineering Manager is responsible for providing organization leadership to the team of manufacturing engineers responsible for ensuring the manufacturability and development of the processes, procedures and tools necessary to manufacture complex integrated aerospace hardware at the material, component, sub-assembly, payload and space vehicle levels for the Harris ISR business in Rochester, NY. This position is focused on developing the strategic direction and implementation of activities in manufacturing engineering to meet production cost, schedule and quality objectives for all programs and pursuits. Responsible for direct supervision and leadership of the manufacturing engineering organization consisting of a mix of mechanical, electrical and optical engineers. The operations manufacturing engineering manager will provide coaching and leadership development for the direct staff of functional group leads and drive talent management activity for the entire manufacturing engineering team. This includes mentoring select team members to strengthen the future leadership within operations.
- Drive Design for Manufacturing & Assembly (DFMA) concepts into the new product development process.
- Develop manufacturing solutions as appropriate to improve processes, systems and equipment to reduce cost and drive efficiency improvements through mistake proofing and design for test while improving overall quality and meeting the needs of current programs and pursuits.
- Meet functional requirements of staffing, training, talent development, engagement, retention, and overall management of the operations manufacturing engineering department / function.
- Provide staffing for manufacturing engineering activities for programs, pursuits and internal efforts (IR&D, special project) within the ISR Business Unit and collaborate across site for resource sharing.
- Support pursuits and proposals in the business, including review/approval of technical proposals and Basis of Estimates as needed.
- Meet operation's Annual Operating Plan (AOP) direct and indirect labor targets and control department expenses including maintenance and repair of manufacturing equipment.
- Actively monitor the condition of existing manufacturing-related capital equipment, construct and implement capital sustainment plans, and provide expertise to the company regarding the maintenance and expansion of manufacturing capabilities that optimizes the facility space and resources.
- Continually implement process improvement initiatives, monitor in-process manufacturing flows for cost, schedule, and quality performance.
- Lead/Support Technical Tiger Teams for Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA) assessment on programs where applicable.
- Hold one on one meetings with direct staff to build relationships and monitor staff performance including performance reviews.
- Provide feedback, coaching and task delegation to direct reports as well as flow down communications to the entire staff through all-hands meetings.
- Establish goals and objectives for team to meet short term operational metrics and long-term strategic needs of the organization.
- This position reports to the Operations Site Lead for Rochester.
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering discipline with a minimum 12 years' prior relevant experience.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Current and active TS/SCI security clearance.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver and sustain measurable results.
- Strong background/training in Lean/Six-Sigma process improvement methodologies (e.g. Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt).
- Ability to coach, mentor and build relationships with external organizations.
- Self-starter; problem solver; customer focus.
- Ability to clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas.
- High expectations for sustained excellence for self and team members.