DISH is transforming the future of connectivity. Our legacy is innovation and disruption. Our brand is opportunity.
Today, we're building America's first virtualized, standalone 5G broadband network from scratch. Free of the burdens and costs inherent to launching on existing infrastructure, it's truly a blank slate - with the potential to host some of the fastest, most robust technologies ever conceived.
We're at the helm of a communications revolution. Our employees are uniquely positioned to effect change across industries spanning autonomous vehicles, smart communities, health care and agriculture well into the future.
We empower our employees to think and create differently, to build beyond the possibilities of today.
DISH Wireless is seeking a Senior Manager of Network Engineering over 5G xHaul network design with secondary advanced knowledge in security and automation. This manager will oversee network planning, architecture, and design of 5G fronthaul, midhaul, and backhaul cell site environments supporting the buildout of our new 5G wireless infrastructure.
The Network Engineering Manager will be responsible for managing a team accountable for architecture and design/Implementation of large-scale xHaul networking across the nation. xHaul network designs will include multi-VRF layer 2/3 network design, GPS timing architecture and design, segment routing, zero-touch provisioning of devices, capacity engineering, segment routing, route planning, and interconnectivity with Internet and third parties.
This team will have a close cross-functional relationship with Data Center Network Engineering, Network Security, Network automation, Data Mobility Engineering, Core Translations Design, Traffic/Transport Engineering, Network Implementation/Design, Performance Management and Peering Interconnect Management teams. This role is a key, strategic part of our business, and presents an opportunity to implement and optimize the latest networking solutions. This role reports to the Head of Network Engineering for DISH Wireless and may require some travel.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage Network design/Implementation team and provide consistent leadership through the hiring, planning, communicating, and managing of the team
- Create and maintain network architecture
- Design and develop network node configurations
- Support validation, deployment, optimization and operations of network nodes
- Manage capital budget, commercial contracts, hardware/software purchase orders
- Testing and validation of new IP services, feature enhancements and software bug fixes
- Establish, validate and maintain direct interconnects with other mobile carriers for interoperability
- Develop and maintain 2 to 3-year strategic infrastructure plan including long-term vision, technology roadmaps, goals and objectives
- Develop and oversee change management and quality assurance processes including review and approval of engineering design proposals, implementation plans, and acceptance plans
A successful candidate will be able to:
- Provide advanced technical leadership for complex project work, including functional subsystem upgrades for mission-critical network devices and services as well as strategic upgrades to the network
- Design, plan, and implement complex LAN/WAN/RAN configurations at nationwide scale
- Supply advanced technical direction and leadership to the organization through the planning and implementation processes
- Establish requirements, provide analysis for network and services specifications, network design, network partitioning, and network architecture definition
- Provide advanced expertise in the development of network test, validation, and integration plans on projects, and assurance of network integrity
- Work independently with vendors to understand, test, and drive new innovative features
Candidate should have extensive knowledge in the following areas:
- Service Provider IP routing
- MPLS and/or Segment Routing (SR-MPLS, SRv6)
- eBGP, iBGP, IS-IS, VRFs, and QoS
- High availability, failover, and redundant configurations
- Network Deployment and Operations Automation - Ansible, Zero Touch Provisioning (ZTP)
- IPv6 - SLAAC and DHCPv6
- Network Timing and Synchronization - GNSS, GPS, PTP
- Software Defined Networking (SDN) - Design and Traffic Engineering
- Network configuration automation (Scripting with Perl/Python/Bash)
- Server virtualization - VMWare, Openstack
- Solid Understanding of the OSI model, routing and switching protocols, network security, IPv4 and IPv6 networking, subnetting, and operational experience
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering preferred, or ten or more years of professional experience in large enterprise or carrier space
- Professional networking certifications a plus - CCNA/CCNP/CCIE/JNCIE or equivalent