Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc. (NYSE: TMO) is the world leader in serving science. With revenues of $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our 70,000 employees the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world. The customers we serve fall within pharmaceutical and biotech companies, hospitals and clinical diagnostic labs, universities, research institutions and government agencies. Our products and services help accelerate the pace of scientific discovery, and solve challenges ranging from complex research to routine testing to field applications.
How You Will Make An Impact:
This role will be responsible for managing a group of data scientists to deliver deep analytical solutions using data science processes, technology, and machine learning algorithms to the Life Sciences Solutions Group in ThermoFisher Scientific. This position will be hands on, actively leveraging their expertise to deliver data science algorithms as well as mentoring and training other data scientists. Will apply their knowledge of statistics, machine learning, and advanced mathematics to recognize patterns, identify opportunities, study business questions, and translate into valuable business solutions.
- Lead a team of data scientists to deliver novel solutions that solve business problems from ideation through to deployment with monitoring of performance.
- Report on the performance of the program and demonstrate how the team is achieving business impact to senior leaders.
- Provide support to data science projects including analysis, querying, coding, visualization, modeling, and deployment.
- Be involved with many aspects of model design and evaluation tasks and prove the efficacy of models built using business driven measurements and sound statistical principles.
- Provide deep statistical leadership and guidance to ensure the effectiveness of models that are delivered to the business.
- Provide feedback on data science approaches and perform peer evaluation with other data scientists.
- Develop automated predictive process monitoring tools, recommendation engines, retention models, revenue attribution, operational and logistic demand predictions, and other potential algorithmic solutions that drive customer engagement, improve our commercial processes, and other activities that leverage data science technology to drive incremental impact to the business.
- Works with cross functional teams to support data collection, virtualization, and integration.
- Collaborate closely with other data scientists on developing and improving model performance.
- Evaluate digital marketing tactic effectiveness and conduct other ad hoc analysis as needed.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Desire to contribute and improve design of new and existing algorithmic and machine learning systems
- Exceptional customer focus with strong interpersonal and communications skills
- Desire to teach other data scientists about technology in area of expertise
- Familiarity with of least one software development tool set such as Python, or R
- Familiarity with could based architecture (AWS preferred), experience with Databricks, SageMaker, Spark a plus
- Aptitude for writing code that visualizes and predicts data from large scale data sets
- Ability to think critically, and solve problems that are inline with business objectives and strategic vision
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to function in a fast-paced dynamic team environment and to prioritize across multiple projects
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and ability to solve complex technical issues.
- Ability to compile, analyze and interpret complex scientific data
How You Will Get Here:
- Master's degree in Data Science, Statistics, Computer science (emphasis in machine learning), predictive analytics, or related field.
- Minimum 7 years' experience performing dedicated data science and machine learning work
- General business acumen and demonstrated focus on business impact.
- Experience in manipulating / managing complex large and unstructured databases data set
- Demonstrated understanding of data analysis via "standard methods"
- 7+ years of experience in R or Python.
- Familiarity with a data visualization tool such as Tableau or PowerBI.
- 7+ years of experience in SQL.
- Solid understanding of database principles, such as relational and non-relational databases, data architecture
- A strong passion for solving important business problems using a logical and analytical mindset.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work with business partners to collect, learn, and understand business objectives and business requirements.