The Senior Manager of Communications and Public Affairs will drive strategic communications and public affairs initiatives to protect and enhance the reputation of Occidental Chemical Corporation (OxyChem), a subsidiary of Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Occidental). This person will serve as a counselor, adviser and service provider to OxyChem's senior management team, recommending strategic communications and executing on key initiatives for the business, and overseeing external communications for its manufacturing sites in the U.S., Canada and Chile.
The position is located in OxyChem’s Dallas, Texas, headquarters and will report to Occidental’s Corporate Affairs department in Houston. Occasional travel is required. This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced, self-starting communications professional seeking a rewarding, fast-paced environmentat one of the most highly regarded companies in the chemical industry.
- Develop strategic communications programs to advance OxyChem’s business objectives.
- Provide communications counsel on the impact that business decisions may have on OxyChem’s and Occidental’s reputation and positioning.
- Develop and maintain relationships with OxyChem’s management and plant personnel.
- Manage incident communications as part of OxyChem’s response team.
- Develop and maintain relations with media outlets that cover the industry.
- Develop content for Occidental’s website, intranet and other collateral.
- Collaborate with Corporate Affairs team on projects and contribute to department programs and strategic planning.
- Maintain collaborative relations and assist with OxyChem-related communications involving other Occidental departments including: Government Relations; Health, Environment and Safety; Legal; Social Responsibility; and Glenn Springs Holdings Inc., an affiliate of OxyChem that manages legacy sites.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications is desired and an advanced degree is a plus.
- Minimum 10 years of experience with proven success in communications and media relations.
- Experience representing a complex, publicly held, global company is desired.
- Experience in the chemical or other global manufacturing industries preferred.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Experience with reputation management, crisis management and issue-based communications.
- Maturity, confidence, poise and presence necessary to interface effectively with senior-level executives, as well as external constituencies, such as business partners, media, special-interest groups and local government officials.
- Ability to work under pressure, manage priorities and meet deadlines in a high-performance environment.
- Resourceful problem solver with ability to formulate and execute plans efficiently and effectively.