Innovate to solve the world's most important challenges
This highly visible role as a Senior Technical Manager will provide the opportunity to showcase and grow both technical and organizational leadership. The person in this position will lead the Modeling and Simulation (M&S) and Model-based Systems Engineering and Configuration Management efforts to enhance the M&S enterprise architecture at the Kansas City National Security Campus (KCNSC). Direct reports will include technical managers and overall organization size will be range from 75 to 100 employees, comprised mostly of degreed simulation engineers, analysts, and CAD/tool designers. The focus of the organization is to build and deploy the foundational technologies to enable a Model-based Enterprise capability for future programs, while concurrently supporting legacy configuration management and modeling/simulation activities on existing programs. This role is responsible to engage peer technology partners within the Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE), industry, as well as academia to evolve and grow a simulations-first capability to enhance the KCNSC’s mission as well as work with the KCNSC Centers of Excellence (COE) to mature new technology for possible insertion. The position also fosters Six Sigma continuous improvement and growth philosophy while driving efficiencies throughout the function and assuring success of engineering strategies.
Summary of Duties:
· Leads the development and deployment of Model-based Enterprise efforts at KCNSC.
· Explore improvements to the configuration management and requirements system to more effectively link and manage the requirements baseline to the system architecture.
· Participate in the development of a system-of-systems architecture model, ensuring that the Modeling and Simulation requirements drive an integrated (system-level) modeling and simulation capability.
· Manages and coordinates with COE leads the activities of related technology innovations and deployments.
· Provides technical resources for a variety of programs and initiatives.
· Consults and coordinates with other managers to formulate solutions for technical or administrative problems.
· Assures compliance with financial plans.
· Participates on committees and task teams established to study strategic long range projects and to ensure the attainment of established goals.
· Reviews various information and technical reports to monitor the organization's overall effectiveness and its progress toward continuous improvement.
· Confers, communicates and innovates with customers and technology partners regarding modeling and simulation challenges and opportunities during conceptual design, development and manufacturing to promote and implement solutions focused on making the NSC Agile, Affordable, and Assured.
· Acts as a facilitator to promote teamwork and excellence in all of the organization's activities.
· Directly supervises Engineering Managers and other support personnel in the Engineering organization. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; assigning work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
· Conducts activities in a safe and healthy manner and works in accordance with established ES&H requirements to ensure the protection of associates, the public, and the environment. Takes actions necessary to "stop" work when an unsafe condition or action is identified. Every associate has the right and responsibility to stop work when unsafe conditions or actions are identified.
· May perform other duties as required.
· Ability to travel up to 15%
You Must Have:
· US citizenship in order to obtain and maintain US Dept of Energy "Q" level security clearance
· Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (ABET accredited), or Physics, Science, or related
· Minimum of five (5) years management experience
· Advanced Degree in Engineering (ABET accredited), or Physics, Science, or related technical/scientific field.
· Experience with requirements engineering using DOORS
· Experience with MBSE (Model-Based Systems Engineering) tools integrated with requirements management and configuration management tools
· Experience with finite element simulation tools and analysis
· History of leadership and influence toward defining, developing and implementing a comprehensive business / function approach toward a new or change initiative
· Experience reflective of ability to negotiate, positively influence leaders, and team with peers to drive resolution for mutually beneficial outcomes
· Demonstrated experience developing and implementing strategic initiatives
· Experience developing partnerships with academia
· Experience negotiating with and successfully influencing the National Labs
· Demonstrated ability to develop and implement strategic multi-site initiatives
· Six Sigma certification
· Interpersonal skills - ability to build relationships and communicate with all levels of organization
· Strong communication skills - verbal, written and presentation
Employee developmentEnsure robust processesStrategy developmentPartner with customersImplement standards, processes and tools Must be a US Citizen due tocontractual requirements. Exempt