Job Title: Sr. Manager, Mechanical Engineering (CAD Design)
Job Code: SAS20191010-33987
Job Location: Palm Bay, FL
Manages experienced professionals, lower level supervisors, or managers. Leads one or more teams or a cross-site department. Communicates within and outside of the organization to influence leadership to accept new practices, approaches, and concepts related to CAD Design tools and process. Develops or champions new concepts or technologies (such as Model Based Definition and Digital Thread). Manages the implementation of functional strategies and recommends operational plans that directly impact the short- to mid-term function or business area results (measured via productivity and quality KPIs). Requires broad management and cross-functional leadership knowledge and mastery level knowledge within CAD Design and broad expertise across the design engineering product development lifecycle from detailed design to manufacturing.
- Responsibilities include the functional management of the CAD Design department for L3Harris' Mechanical Engineering discipline team in Palm Bay, Fl. This position is focused on leading an experienced team of Designers in support of programs and pursuits.
- T he Sr. Engineering Manager is responsible for leading an organization of approximately 100 Engineering employees. This includes supervision, planning, development, and execution of CAD Design and Drafting tasking on projects, pursuits, and programs. The Sr. Engineering Manager will also provide coaching and leadership development for the direct staff of Group Leaders as well as for the entire department.
- Meet functional requirements of staffing, training, talent development, engagement, retention, and overall management of Engineering department / function.
- Provide staffing for programs, pursuits, and internal efforts (IR&D, Special Projects, etc.) within the Space and Airborne Business Segment and for all Engineering needs.
- Meet functional organization and business AOP budgets.
- Advance technologies as appropriate to ensure tools, processes, and staff are competitive and applicable to Space and Airborne Systems business.
- Lead metric-based process improvement projects to improve productivity and quality of work product delivery to programs.
- Support pursuits and proposals in the business, including review/approval of technical proposals and Basis of Estimates (BOEs) as needed.
- Lead/Support Technical Tiger Teams for Root Cause Corrective Action (RCCA) assessment on programs where applicable.
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering with a minimum of 12 years of prior related experience. Graduate Degree with a minimum of 10 years of prior related experience or equivalent.
Preferred Additional Skills:
- Active TS/SCI security clearance is preferred.
- Broad management and leadership knowledge to lead cross-site project teams or manage across the function. Typically has mastery within a specific technical area or broad expertise across multiple related job areas.
- Experience in Engineering leadership capacity (i.e. Group Lead, IPT Lead, Project Engineer, Cost Account Manager).
- Experience providing staffing for programs, pursuits, and internal efforts (IR&D, Special Projects, etc.).
- Advanced degree is a plus.
- Strong subject matter expertise in Mechanical Engineering design process for Aerospace and Defense.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver and sustain measurable results.
- Ability to coach, mentor and build relationships with internal and external organizations.
- Self-starter; problem solver; customer focus.
- Ability to clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas, including strong executive communication and presentation skills
- High expectations for sustained excellence for self and team members.