FMC Corporation is a leading specialty company focused on agricultural and lithium technologies. We are proud that our products help grow the world's food, improve health and contribute to a more sustainable energy supply.
FMC is a globally diverse organization that offers its employees exciting opportunities to work on challenging projects that are important to the achievement of our strategic objectives. Your education and professional experience are valued and put to use from day one. Your success at completing key initiatives can result in a varied, progressive and fulfilling career with FMC.
With a corporate culture of innovation, integrity, responsibility and customer intimacy, we foster “The Right Chemistry” in everything we do. We are looking for people to join us in creating, developing, and improving our products, our processes, and our markets. If you are ready to make a difference every day, FMC is ready to talk to you.
The Senior Manager of Global Innovation is responsible for the Research and Development organization within FMC Lithium, including the Energy Segment as well as Polymer product portfolio. The Sr. Manager will report directly to the Director of Strategic Marketing and Product Development and have full responsibility for the Division’s innovation roadmap and commercial products end use applications labs.
The expectation for the individual in this leadership role is to deliver results using out of the box thinking and resources, applying best in class scientific understanding to problem solve and build a robust pipeline of product improvement and development initiatives. The individual will make use of internal and external networks of information, and improve development success probabilities all in an effort to achieve value propositions and commercially viable innovations. In collaboration with the full commercial team, drive the division in market application future trends and outwardly focusing on our customers’ needs and future products. Working safely in a team environment, this role will lead and raise the capability of the Division’s ability to deliver innovation within our fast growing customer segment.
The Sr. Manager of Global Innovation must be an outstanding leader of uncompromising integrity along with the necessary credibility, expertise and experiencerequired to lead the organization forward in a successful manner. Specifically he/she should meet the following specific criteria:
This position will lead FMC Lithium’s global R&D & Applications organization. She/He will be responsible for the overall portfolio of new products aimed at driving growth in the business and will lead the effort to innovate, invent, evaluate, develop and/or purchase products and technologies. Key responsibilities and priorities for the Sr. Manager Global Innovation will include but not be limited to the following:
- Ensure a safe working environment by providing leadership on all safety-related issues including laboratory safety
- Lead the development and execution of technology strategy for technology platforms, partnerships, external relationships and assessment of emerging technologies. Contribute to business strategy, due diligence and integration of any future product/ business acquisitions.
- Development of technology roadmap for the business
- Be a leader for the division in lithium ion battery technology and guide the division’s strategy toward future technologies in the battery space.
- Create a culture of innovation and lead through a developed process of prioritizing opportunities (i.e. Stage Gate type of approach).
- Serve as the technical advisor on all product initiatives to help ensure new products and product enhancements are industry leading.
- Identify and define target opportunities relative to licensing, joint venture’s and acquisition activities related to targeted growth platforms
- Maintains awareness of trends in our industries to ensure FMC is current in development efforts to supply new and innovative products.
- Direct research and product development efforts and ensure key milestones, overall project timelines and approved budgets are met.
- Identify business opportunities and prospects by evaluating the market and industry trends; researching and contributing to competitive options for technology expansion.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key clients by providing support, information, and guidance; translating needs into market opportunities.
- Ensure that a coordinated plan exists for taking projects through all stages of development to commercial launch.
- Ensure intellectual property protection
- Build a strong financial case for projects
- Build a strong, high performing team
- Exhibit strong scientific leadership while influencing the future direction of the Lithium division.
- Stay current on future technology trends affecting the industries.
- Ph.D in a related discipline (e.g., Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Applied Physics, Physical Chemistry, Electrochemistry) required
- A minimum of 8-10 years experience in R&D, Engineering, Science, or relevant experience with a minimum of 5years in R&D or Applications, Innovation leadership.
- Experience in technical function in a chemical or specialty chemical, with a focus on Lithium technologies in the Energy battery segment.
- The successful candidate will have the capacity to think strategically about ways to maximize the long-term value of the technology, and at the same time, help the organization to focus on day-to-day execution.
- Experience in evaluating new product opportunities through a structured and scientific approach with a demonstrated ability to identify and validate technologies for strategic and commercial fit is a definite advantage.
- Must understand business needs and be able to apply technologies to product development.
- Ability to identify, seek, secure and maintain intellectual property.
- Demonstrated leadership qualities, well-developed communications and human relations skills.
- Ability to manage a diverse team, manage upwards, and collaborate with peers.
- He/she must possess the ability to build commitment and drive for results.
- Experience in providing focus and leadership in areas with matrixed, overlapping lines of responsibility and well developed partnering skills effective in a diverse, geographically dispersed organization is critical.
- Demonstrate and act on a strong customer/external market focus. Take division’s strategy and communicate with customer and turn into R&D opportunities.
- Ability to grow talent across a global organization.
- Must be able to travel as necessary, with some international included. Ability to communicate to Executive levels on strategy and targeted efforts.
- Drive for Results
- Intellectual Horsepower
- Problem Solving
- Customer Focus
- Alignment to business strategies
- Conflict Management