his position reports to the Controller, Americas & Corporate and is responsible for the design, development and delivery of the Fixed Asset, Capital Administration and Lease Accounting strategy and process performance outcomes for the global organization in line with the overall CAO strategy. This includes accountability for the end to end process design and performance for defined process elements encompassing approximately 50% of the LYB Balance Sheet. In this position, you will need to exhibit strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop relationships with diverse groups of financial and operating personnel at various levels throughout the organization.
This role includes direct leadership of the Capital Administration, Fixed Asset and Lease Accounting shared service teams based in Houston, Lake Charles, Berre (France) and Rotterdam (Netherlands).
Roles & Responsibilities
- Lead and mentor direct reports in delivering efficient and effective accounting solutions in accordance with corporate policies and legislative requirements; specifically:
- Lead department on producing accurate and timely accounting records for all lease, fixed asset and intangible activities including journal entries, documentation, account and subsystem reconciliations, roll forward schedules (where applicable) and reporting deliverables.
- Responsible party for all lease determination and classification conclusions under US GAAP and IFRS
- Maintain strong understanding of capitalization rules, regulations and industry best practices while providing leadership to the organization to ensure costs are capitalized in accordance with rules and regulations.
- Manages and is responsible for the LAMS (Lease Accounting Management System) tool , including master data updates, accuracy of calculations and output journal entries into the ERP system
- Builds, maintains and updates global corporate accounting policies and asset tracking / inventory management procedures
- Oversee the global capital funding approval process, capital long-range plan submission and the depreciation and amortization annual budget process.
- Responsible for the reconciliation of lease accounting data from LAMS module to the ERP system and the reconciliation of LAMS contained lease accounting data to underlying data feeds; ensures completeness in the lease accounting process.
- Develops and maintains management reporting and develops management KPIs for the accounting functions where required.
- In conjunction with the external reporting group, develops, prepares and maintains monthly, quarterly and annual accounting reporting packages to support regulatory filings under US GAAP and IFRS (Statutory reporting where applicable)
- Primary point of contact for internal and external audit relating to fixed asset, lease and capital accounting.
- Provides effective direction and guidance to all team members to continuously promote a professional work environment that fosters respect, teamwork, and customer service amongst all colleagues.
- Coordinates global end to end process training to all areas and levels of the organization.
- Serve as department lead to account for acquisition and divestiture transactions. Ensures effective integration into shared service model while supporting system implementations.
- Drive effective cross functional teams, with but not limited to, Finance, IT, Global Procurement, Global Manufacturing, Supply Chain, SP&T, Tax, Treasury, Accounting Policy, External and Internal Reporting and Global Projects & Engineering to establish and embed continuous improvement opportunities across the spectrum of tasks/activities/controls in the end-to-end process.
- Builds and manages a high performing global team with globally benchmarked role profiles, team skills gap assessment and appropriate recruitment plan. Manage the hiring process within the agreed headcount budget, ensuring appropriate talent pool is developed, selected and maintained.
- Manage a culture of performance within the team, ensuring the company’s performance management process is embedded and delivered within the timelines. This includes ensuring formal performance reviews are conducted to provide real-time affirmative and constructive feedback that is linked to clearly defined and SMART objectives and goals and development plans are implemented to facilitate career path aspirations.
- Deploy and manage strategic discussions with customers including:
- Agree on topics such as service offerings, joint objectives, common definitions of success.
- Providing performance transparency.
- Establish and maintain a process to identify issues, perform root cause analysis and establish appropriate mitigation plans to drive issues to closure. Document current state identifying cross functional disconnects and interface issues.
- Identify and prioritize process improvement/automation opportunities and propose to the Director RTR and Process Architect RTR.
- Act as the escalation point for exceptional process and people issues. Encourage initiative and self-directed performance. Escalate unresolved issues to the Director RTR.
- Final approver for all related SEC and IFRS accounting related information before submission.
- Develop and roll-out process goals and align job performance roles and responsibilities accordingly to deliver.
- Create and track process performance indicators and metrics and explain trends in performance against benchmarks.
- Develop, implement and maintain appropriate accounting procedures and process controls in accordance with Sarbanes Oxley and in compliance with corporate and accounting policies.
- Establish and monitor a process budget to ensure appropriate allocation of resources to meet process goals and to positively influence the budget of functions contributing to processes.
- Bachelor’s degree required, accounting or related discipline preferred.
- At least 10+ years of experience in finance and strong evidence of leading an operational finance department.
- Experience in a dynamic and deadline driven environment.
- Experience with Internal Controls and SOX/404 requirements.
- Experience in process design and implementation within a financial software package (ideally SAP).
- Demonstrated experience in process management (in particular KPI and benchmarking).
- Understanding of the business and finance processes within the Petrochemicals business model, highly desirable.
- CPA or international equivalent
- Experience of working in different international geographical regions