What you’ll be doing...
This position will lead and manage a team of Managers and Consultants whose responsibilities include providing daily operations support for both Domestic and International payroll, project support, strategic employee transfers, acquisitions, divestitures, audit and compliance to the overall Global Payroll organization. This includes identifying, researching, monitoring, and providing resolution for all critical projects, system production defects identified as well as support of new business requirements that impact Global Payroll. These can be identified either as strategic, new development or process improvements. The Senior Manager will oversee and direct Global Payroll projects, including regular ongoing business, such as the compensation cycle, tax forms, Labor issues, and PeopleSoft/VZ Time upgrades. This position is also responsible for managing and directing the daily activities of the PayrollAudit, Compliance team ensuring payroll transactions are validated / audited before processing payroll and are recorded in compliance with external legal, regulatory and statutory requirements along with Verizon policy / procedures and internal controls.
The Senior Manager – Transactions and Operations Support will work closely/partner with the other Global Payroll Sr. Managers to implement process efficiencies and improvements within the Global Payroll department. Strong payroll related system knowledge is required for the entire Domestic and International Payroll cycle from earnings, deductions, garnishments and taxes. The Senior Manager will interact and provide input on policy and process decisions that integrate with Human Resources, Benefits, IT, Labor Relations, Accounting, Finance, and Field Operations in addition to providing managerial support for external vendor relationships. This position will highly interact with the Global Payroll Director and Executive Director.
- Overall management of the multiple project plans to meet agreed budget and implementation dates.
- Lead and manage several distinct functions in the following areas:
- Strategic and new development and or enhancement efforts related to Global Payroll and multiple Time Systems utilized across Verizon.
- Development and submission of annual payroll Business Cases to executive management.
- Oversight of the overall program management within the Global Payroll team, ensuring the project requests follow the governance model for approval to precede forward. Manages the coordination and prioritization of payroll projects.
- Interface with the IT organization to ensure the functions are receiving the support they need to be successful.
- Provide managerial support and guidance for payroll activities related to company acquisitions, mergers and sales of entities.
- Be responsible for system development efforts -- including identification of needed enhancements, securing of funding, testing, installation and communication of those enhancements.
- Investigate and manage system related defects and daily support of the payroll processing.
- Provide day to day support to all Global Payroll Operations teams.
- Management of 15 recurring critical payroll projects yearly, including PeopleSoft tax updates (six per year), annual compensations payouts, management base pay increases, union employees general wage increase and ratification payments. etc.
- Coordinate and interact with the Payroll Customer Service teams to support employee customer service support/help desk, as appropriate.
- Make decisions on functionality, driving towards simplification of employee experiences with payroll and time systems and processes.
- Be responsible for overall defect testing for both Payroll and Time and Labor. Conduct the proper analytics to ensure defects are going down over time and that once changes are implemented new issues are not created. Provide metrics to track transactions, customer service functions, payrollreports, and payroll processing activities.
Audit and Compliance
- Provide Managerial support and guidance to Global Payroll Training team over the development and delivery in a consistent and simplified approach. Ensure compliance score cards/metrics are compiled timely and provided to management.
- Provide Managerial support to the Global PayrollAudit team in conducting timely audits, providing audit metrics to management team. Make recommendations for remediation working with the Global Payroll team.
- Management of the Global PayrollAudit and Compliance support activities.
- Continually review Payroll work practices and procedures for better operational efficiency; and to proactively identify and resolve potential issues in Payroll transactions and processes.
- Be responsible for ensuring the transactions support team has reviewed the impacted processes and reviewed with the functional payroll teams accordingly to ensure the end to end process are covered and included in documentation. This also includes ensuring the proper controls and balancing of data is accomplished during the testing cycle and communication of the results.
- Randomly reviews audits conducted by team to ensure accuracy of gross pay to net pay, including earnings, FLSA, deductions, garnishments, and taxes for Management exempt and non-exempt employees
- Coordinate and interact with the Payroll Transactions and Operational Support Enterprise team to remain updated and compliant with all federal, state and local laws, and rules, as appropriate, and any impacts to Verizon employees. This includes the scope of taxes, garnishments, wage and pay practices, and sickness / disability laws and regulations.
- Ensure consistent application and adherence to Verizon policies, procedures and controls as it relates to Payroll transactions. Coordinates and interacts with the Payroll Enterprise Validation Processing and Transactions teams to ensure accurate and timely processing of Payroll payments
- Career development and mentoring to staff.
- Champion opportunities to simplify and standardize systems and data across the company.
- Exercises judgment in selecting methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Effectively manages a diverse, multi-geographic, multi-functioned organization.
- Partner with process peers in Human Resources, Benefits, Finance, Accounting, Treasury, Legal, Labor Relations, Corporate Taxes, and related third party vendors to resolve complex/escalated employee questions/issues.
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree or four or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of relevant work experience.
Even better if you have:
- Bachelors or Master’s degree in a related field of study.
- Strong experience with Payroll, Time and Labor applications, with preferences for PeopleSoft Payroll and HRIS, PeopleSoft Time and Labor, and Infor time system.
- Comprehensive understanding of end to end payroll processing requirements.
- Experience in payroll functions including; the ability to anticipate trends, analytical relationships and key performance indicators within the Payroll industry marketplace and economy that could have significant impacts on the business.
- Experience with systems and process streamlining and consolidation.
- Ability to continually researches system applications for best practice functionality.
- Experience reviewing applicable industry benchmarks to meet or exceed year over year.
- Ability to develop resolutions to complex problems that require the frequent use of creativity, and conduct the analysis of situations or data that requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors.
- SOX and auditexperience.
- Excellent organization, communication, time management and interpersonal skills with proven ability to manage diverse and decentralized teams.
- Strong practical knowledge of Microsoft Project and MS Office, combined with the ability to create meaningful presentations to present ideas and obtain approval.
- Good understanding of required compliance with legal, regulatory, and financial requirements governing functional tasks and activities.
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences,including race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, and Veteran status. Different makes us better.