Reporting to the Director of Customer Behavior and Design, the Sr. Manager of Design Research will continuously support and collaborate with the customer journey team, product organization and related growth functions to ensure that there is a clear line of sight between the customer and customer business strategies. He or she will ensure that the business needs and strategies are translated into value delivered by our products and are in line with observed customer needs and behaviors. Observing and communicating the customer experience is a key responsibility for the team lead by this individual. These responsibilities include both digital and offline experiences.
Sr. Manger of Design Research consistently collaborates with business stakeholders to translate business strategies into experiments. To do this, he or she will lead two teams of research designers. These teams include a generative design function which focuses on building a Design Thinking culture and practice where behaviors are observed and translated into product features and new experience strategies. This person will also lead a team responsible for communicating the customer experience and associated strategies including the creation.
The candidate will focus on behavioral and observational research, data synthesis from multiple sources, and deep understanding our business. This individual will build and lead a team to develop meaningful and actionable strategic recommendations in the form of scenarios, design research reports, lean canvas creation and validated learning boards. Leveraging Design Thinking, they will champion seamless end to end experience for our customers (from brand awareness to using our products and everything in between).
The candidate will lead the design of experiments and conduct experiments in order to validate customer hypotheses and translate findings into actionable insights for the customer journey teams.
Job Description Details
This candidate’s primary functions of leadership include:
GENERATIVE DESIGN RESEARCH & ANALYSIS
- Conducts ended to end customer observational research including home visits, category and product based shopping scenarios, eye-tracking, card sorting, customer pilots, etc…
- Coordinates and conducts usability tests with customers on live features and prototypes
- Conducts research share outs
- Design of Experiments – Lean UX / Design of experiments
- Collaborates closely with the UX / Design team by establishing the leanest method to validate assumptions. These methods may include; but are not limited to, validation through rapid prototyping. The design of experiment function will serve as the primary mechanism to validate customer assumptions and translate this into business value. This function includes coordinating the research, conducting experiments and communicating results for the strategic recommendations.
STRATIGIC RECOMMENDATIONS & COMMUNICATIONS
- Externalizes customer research and pattern analysis and collaborates across all business functions to ensure that the customer is at the center of strategic decisions. Advises the business on Customer Journey touch points based on aggregated research
- Identifies and Priorities Customer Experience features to drive engagement and business priorities
- Be a customer expert and advocate through out the enterprise
- Ongoing pattern analysis to deliver key customer artifacts such as personas, scenarios …etc.
- Experience: 7+ years experience in Interactive Product Design and User Experience
- Design Research and/or Interactive agency experience preferred
- Candidates must be able to show proven experience and understanding current and emerging methods for design research and the externalization of consumer patterns
- Experience in media or retail industry preferred
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally in a multi-function organization
- Relationships within technology and digital media industry
- Proven ability to work cross-functionally in a multi-function and globally based organization
- Extensive experience managing and mentoring teams of high-performing professionals across diverse disciplines such as marketing, sales, web development, business intelligence and other functional business areas.
- Experience in leading and managing a team of varying experience levels and across global locations
- Education: Bachelor’s degree with an MBA preferred