Combine two of the fastest-growing fields on the planet with a culture of performance, collaboration and opportunity and this is what you get. Leading edge technology in an industry that is improving the lives of millions. Here, innovation is not about another gadget; it is about making health care data available wherever and whenever people need it, safely and reliably. There is no room for error. If you are looking for a better place to use your passion and your desire to drive change, this is the place to be. It's an opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm)
Positions in this function produce innovative solutions driven by exploratory data analysis from unstructured, diverse datasets typically measured in gigabytes or larger. Applies knowledge of statistics, machine learning, programming, data modeling, simulation, and advanced mathematics to recognize patterns, identify opportunities, pose business questions, and make valuable discoveries leading to prototype development and product improvement. Uses a flexible, analytical approach to design, develop, and evaluate predictive and prescriptive models and advanced algorithms that lead to optimal value extraction from the data. Works with analytics and statistical software such as SQL, R, Python, Hadoop and others to perform analysis and interpret data. This function is not intended for employees performing the following work: less complex analysis on small data sets; rules-based algorithmic or descriptive analytics; development of big data infrastructure.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges. Primary Responsibilities:
- Analyze complex member data (e.g. relational databases, star schema's, etc) and turn into actionable insights in support of the long and short term goals of the company
- Responsible for integrating and preparing large, varied datasets, both internal member behaviors as well as exogenous data sources, to get a holistic understanding of member preferences and behaviors
- Build predictive and analytical models by using techniques such as logistic regression, OLS regression, k-means segmentation, PCA, decision trees
- Produce meaningful recommendations for influencing member engagement and outreach strategies by using data mining, statistical analysis and predictive modeling
- Dig beneath the surface of a problem to ascertain the "Why" in the backend data, uncover the true reasons data patterns and skews may be showing up, and convert those findings into clearly understandable, data-backed recommendations, to influence future member engagement strategies
- Uncovering data anomalies, discovering business insights and identifying opportunities through the use of statistical, algorithmic, mining and visualization techniques
- Distil patterns in data, many times dirty data that doesn't make sense. Ability to spot dirty data and think out of the box about how to accommodate in order to produce trustworthy results given these constraints
- Develop presentations around insights and tell compelling stories with the data, and deliver to constituents at all levels: strategic, tactical, operational, and across functions: marketing, operations, finance, etc.
- Communicate and present findings, orally and visually in a way that can be easily understood by business counterparts
- Highly motivated and independent self-starter
- Manages and is accountable for professional employees and/or supervisors
- Impact of work is most often at the local level
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in. Required Qualifications:
- Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Bachelor's degree in a quantitative field such as Statistics, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science or Actuarial Science
- 3+ years of experience in advanced SQL working with relational data in large enterprise environments with large datasets (e.g. 1+billion records)
- 3+ years of experience with data extraction/manipulation/transformation in environments such as SQL server, Netezza, Teradata, or Oracle
- 3+ years of experience working with statistics to perform analyses, data modeling and predictive behavioral modeling is required
- 3+ years of experience in one of the following languages: R, Python, SAS
- 3+ years of experience developing compelling presentations around insights to be delivered to leaders across the organization and external customers
- 3+ years of experience combining numerous exogenous data sources (e.g. demographics/psychographics/SDoH) with consumer transactional and behavioral attributes to support advanced modeling efforts
- 3+ years of statistical modeling experience using analytical algorithms such as Logistic Regression, OLS regression, etc.
- Experience leading a team of Analysts, engineers and data scientists
- Excellent written and communication skills
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, patients and communities we serve, UnitedHealth Group and its affiliate companies now require all employees to disclose COVID-19 vaccination status prior to beginning employment. In addition, some roles require full COVID-19 vaccination as an essential job function. UnitedHealth Group adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations as well as all client COVID-19 vaccination requirements and will obtain the necessary information from candidates prior to employment to ensure compliance. Candidates must be able to perform all essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodation. Failure to meet the vaccination requirement may result in rescission of an employment offer or termination of employment.
UnitedHealth Group is working to create the health care system of tomorrow.
Already Fortune 5, we are totally focused on innovation and change. We work a little harder. We aim a little higher. We expect more from ourselves and each other. And at the end of the day, we're doing a lot of good.
Through our family of businesses and a lot of inspired individuals, we're building a high-performance health care system that works better for more people in more ways than ever. Now we're looking to reinforce our team with people who are decisive, brilliant - and built for speed.
Come to UnitedHealth Group, and share your ideas and your passion for doing more. We have roles that will fit your skills and knowledge. We have diverse opportunities that will fit your dreams. Careers with Optum.
Here's the idea. We built an entire organization around one giant objective; make health care work better for everyone. So when it comes to how we use the world's large accumulation of health-related information, or guide health and lifestyle choices or manage pharmacy benefits for millions, our first goal is to leap beyond the status quo and uncover new ways to serve. Optum, part of the UnitedHealth Group family of businesses, brings together some of the greatest minds and most advanced ideas on where health care has to go in order to reach its fullest potential. For you, that means working on high performance teams against sophisticated challenges that matter. Optum, incredible ideas in one incredible company and a singular opportunity to do your life's best work.(sm) Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only:
The salary range for Colorado residents is $94,500 to $171,700. The salary range for Connecticut / Nevada residents is $94,500 to $171,700. Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, UnitedHealth Group offers benefits such as, a comprehensive benefits package, incentive and recognition programs, equity stock purchase and 401k contribution (all benefits are subject to eligibility requirements). No matter where or when you begin a career with UnitedHealth Group, you'll find a far-reaching choice of benefits and incentives.
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.
Job Keywords: Sr Manager Data Science, Manager Data Science, Data Scientist, Telecommute, Telecommuting, Telecommuter, Work From Home, Work At Home, Remote