Headquartered in Phoenix, AZ, PetSmart, Inc. is the #1 pet specialty retailer, offering pet-related products, services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets. PetSmart believes pets make us better people, leading to its mission of creating more moments for people to be inspired by pets, which impacts everything they do for their customers, the way they support their associates, and how they give back to their communities. The company employs approximately 55,000 associates, across 1,600 stores in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico.
In addition to its broad range of competitively priced pet food and pet products, PetSmart offers pet grooming, boarding, day care and dog training services, as well as in-store pet adoption. Additionally, through petsmart.com and pet360.com, the company offers a comprehensive line of pet supplies and pet care information online. Additionally, through their in-store pet adoption, partnerships with independent non-profit organizations, as well as PetSmart Charities® and PetSmart Charities® of Canada, PetSmart has helped save the lives of over 7mm pets through adoptions of homeless pets, with adoptions totaling more than 400,000 each year. In addition, PetSmart supports organizations that make communities a better place to call home through their philanthropy program, PetSmart Gives Back™.
PetSmart was taken private in early 2015, in a buyout led by BC Partners, a global Private Equity fund. And most recently, PetSmart and BC Partners acquired Chewy.com, the leading Pet Specialty eCommerce retailer, in the largest eCommerce acquisition of all time.
Individually, PetSmart and Chewy are the clear leaders in Pet Specialty in their respective channels; and together, with their clear omni-channel leadership, the company is poised to transform the Pet Specialty industry, and reinvent Omni-Channel retailing as we know it.
ABOUT THE SENIOR MANAGER - DATA SCIENCE ROLE
A newly created group for PetSmart, the Advanced Analytics Group (AAG) is a team of 4 – 5 of highly business-oriented Strategy and Data Science professionals that uses Big Data to generate break-through insights across Product & Services Portfolio Performance, Customer Behavior, Loyalty, and Promotional Effectiveness, in order to drive improved customer acquisition and retention, shopping frequency, transaction size and margin contribution, enhanced customer intimacy, long-term customer loyalty, and enhanced lifetime customer value, and deliver sustainably accelerated top- and bottom-line growth for the Company.
Reporting to the Senior Director Advanced Analytics, the Senior Manager Data Science will be a key member of the team, and a partner to the PetSmart leadership team, BC Partners, and key functional leaders with responsibilities including but not limited to:
- Leverage Big Data, traditional Machine Learning, and Advanced Analytics to understand what’s happening in our space, and why; answer critical Consumer, Marketplace and Business questions; helping PetSmart navigate the rapidly evolving landscape, capitalize on opportunities, and solidify and expand our leadership across both Brick and Mortar and Online Pet Retail to drive sustainably improved business results
- Drive continuous improvement in (a) capability, and (b) realized effectiveness, across CRM, Loyalty and Promotional execution and effectiveness, especially in the area of tailored / customized customer communication and promotional offers
- Work with leaders and teams across PetSmart on critical, episodic needs of the business, contributing on a broad spectrum from “Business Intelligence / Analytics” to “pure data science”
- Work collaboratively with PetSmart Information Systems and BI to:
- Establish best practices and drive continuous improvement in the data science infrastructure, data management, and workflow
- And to turn AAG findings, insights and algorithms into automated capabilities for core PetSmart processes, execution and measurement across CRM, Loyalty and Promotional execution, especially in the area of tailored / customized customer communication and promotional offers and Loyalty, across channels
- Infuse PetSmart with a deep understanding of best practices, key trends, and analogous success cases in the use of Big Data to drive customer intimacy, customization, and business results in a CPG / Retail / eCommerce or related context
- Help PetSmart turn a sophisticated Big Data capability into a sustainable competitive advantage in Pet Specialty, and the broader Mass and eCommerce retaillandscape