Job Details: Bachelor's degree is preferred.
7 - 10 years experience required.
Computer skills are required.
Customer service skills are required.
Supervisory experience is required.
This role manages daily operational coding and manual charge entry activities for all Steward Medical Group markets. These activities include accurate and timely code assignment, entry and review of physician services across all specialties, charge entry as required for the markets, and review and management of hold buckets. This position will report to Reports to Sr. Director of SMG Revenue Cycle.
• Implements SMG's process and structure for coding
• Provides coding guidance for departmental staff and serves as a resource to answer coding related questions for providers
• Coordinates and directs internal staff and external coding resources, in order to meet specific objectives and time tables for coding activities
• Creates, maintains and implements department processes, controls, policies & procedures
• Ensures compliance with state and federal rules and regulations
• Manages operations within established rules and guidelines for budget and productivity
• Serves as information liaison to the organization on coding-related information and activities
• Coordinates with other revenue cycle personnel to identify and communicate trends related to provider activities
• Reviews and manages hold buckets assigned to the Coding department. This includes allocation of coding resources to maintain hold buckets at acceptable levels and validate that items included in the hold buckets are appropriate for the coding department
• Implements, maintains and monitors departmental performance metrics
• Implements, maintains and monitors departmental staff productivity metrics
• Supervises coding staff and directs associated work assignments and workflow to meet revenue cycle targets and support associated initiative
• Oversees and coordinates training needs for departmental staff
• Facilitates communication between internal customers
• Coordinates complementation of the annual performance management/evaluation process for departmental staff
• Evaluates and implements educational programs/needs to support current coding practices
• Coordinates with other departments to facilitate the coding process and revenue cycle performance
• Focus on and creates a culture of continuous improvement
• Maintains certifications and stays current on industry trends
• Acts as a resource on projects and takes on other duties as assigned
• Bachelor's degree
• 10+ years coding experience, 5+ years in a supervisory capacity
• Prior expertise in physician practice claims management and coding
• Demonstrated coding (ICD-10-CM and CPT) expertise
• Progressive management and budgetary experience
• Demonstrated knowledge of health information processes
• Excellent problem-solving ability, communication, leadership, initiative and management skills are a necessity
• Current certification as an RHIT or RHIA and a CPC or CCS-P is required
• Certification in Health Care Compliance (CHC) highly desired
Special skills required include:
• Thorough knowledge of medical terminology, anatomy & physiology, disease processes, health information science, computer applications in medical records, and current dynamics in the health care industry