Reporting to the Director Facilities, based at our NorCal, CA site, this position will lead/support capital projects to execute the master site plan of the Madison, WI and Bay Area sites. The Senior Manager Capitol Projects will apply existing and new knowledge of Construction Control Project Management to support multiple and high-pace capital projects across multiple functions and locations
- Develop and direct implementation of space utilization plans in concert with Facilities strategic planning and real estate resources.
- Oversee design, construction, commissioning, qualification (if applicable) and readiness workstreams for each assigned project
- Ensures that projects are safe, of high quality, are completed on schedule and remain within budget
- Directs design and construction management activities including capital planning, budgeting, designer selection, design review, project management, dispute resolution and any legal issues
- Working closely with procurement, Projects Control Team on bid evaluation and contract award processes and coordinate the negotiation of contracts with general contractors, and oversight of construction management activities following Illumina Governance Policy
- Manage all external design team professionals from project inception through completion and ensure they produce thorough and accurate drawings which comply with all established standards
- Review all construction drawing documents and specifications, coordinating necessary reviews with business unit representatives and regulatory authorities
- Coordinate with Facilities Management to insure efficient and timely turnover of space for effective operations, including a maintenance and calibration package
- Oversee relationship with the local municipality authorities for project permitting and other business related to site improvement's.
- Maintain landlord and property management relationships, participate in lease negotiations for acquisitions, renewals or lease terminations.
- Direct the installation, relocation, removal and repair of facility related equipment.
- Develop annual capital plans.
- Partner and support the execution of facility-related capital projects in concert with Facilities Project Management and Capital Planning
- Contract with and direct all external contractor services.
- Ensure conformance to building standards and specifications, including project costs and construction schedules.
- Develop, control and implement facility capital plans, including facility utility schedules in coordination with corporate sustainability, Engineering, Compliance and Validation group. Accountable for facility expense performance.
- EAM work order management system for Projects Change Control
- Ensure GLP/GMP compliance and maintain controlled space and environmental systems where applicable.
- Support the implementation of regional programs which ensure EHS compliance with applicable regulations and internal policies as defined by Global EHS.
- Ensure facility compliance with all applicable local, county or country based facility and EHS regulations or industry standards.
- Build and manage a staff which works in a highly team-based, cross-functional and results-oriented fashion between Madison and The Bay Area Sites
Listed responsibilities are an essential, but not exhaustive list, of the usual duties associated with the position. Changes to individual responsibilities may occur due to business needs.
- At least 7 years of relevant experience working with engineering design and capital project construction.
- A bachelor's degree in Architecture or Engineering. MS / MBA is preferred.
- Excellent negotiation, organizational, interpersonal and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrates strategic enterprise thinking, finding innovative ways to deliver results, and build trust
- Must possess outstanding communication, analytical, and problem-solving skills and the ability to work with enterprise-wide information systems
- Ability to interact well with other groups and must be able to take ownership of and follow through on assignments. Must be able to drive results in multiple complex assignments simultaneously with minimal required direction from his/her supervisor.
- Ability to make effective oral presentations and work as part of a team.
- Prior industry experience inclusive of large scale capital projects and facility management of controlled environments and ISO, GLP/GMP facilities. Life science, clinical, biotech or pharma experience preferred.
- Knowledge and application of environmental, health and safety regulations and familiarity with EHS regulatory agencies' protocols.
- Previous experience with CMMS, EAM or enterprise work order management systems preferred. Also, must be computer proficient using Microsoft Office, Outlook, Projects and other applications a plus.
All listed requirements are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Concerns regarding COVID-19 continue as positive cases are experienced in the communities in which we operate. Please be aware that, as a condition of employment, Illumina requires proof of COVID vaccination for all U.S.-based employees (subject to limited exceptions) beginning November 1, 2021.