The successful candidate will be a forward thinking manager with a proven track record of managing innovative technology solutions and creating strategic product roadmaps around Hadoop and emerging Big Data technologies. The candidate will have an understanding of the trends in the open-source and commercially supported Hadoop distributions. He/she will be expected to have a solid background in people management, Big Data Operations and Engineering Management. In particular, the ideal candidate will understand the opportunities and challenges in the field of Big Data and is aggressive to address these challenges and opportunities. The successful candidate will be a thought leader who will influence and engage peers, partners and senior leaders in the company on the direction of the Big Data market space and its organic business growth. Attention to detail and an eye for quality, along with the ability to grasp and translate technical capabilities into benefits will be crucial. The ideal candidate will be experienced in working in cross-functional teams while being a hands-on contributor. He / she will have the technical knowledge to influence product development teams and create a collaborative working environment between design, development and management of the product environment. The position is based at PayPals office in San Jose, California.
• Define the infrastructure vision, strategy, and execution for Hadoop Enterprise Portfolio in PayPal.
• Determine the key areas where Hadoop R&D should be investing in order to maximize future profit potential, meet emerging customer requirements, and maintain our competitive edge.
• Develop technical requirements for new/existing products within the portfolio as well as feature introductions or improvements.
• Assists in the management of the requirements phase of each functional enhancement (including functional/technical specifications, upgrades and deployments).
• Technical duties can include evaluating, prototyping, and recommending emerging Hadoop features.
• Support product management/architectural activities related to PayPal Hadoop product offerings.
• Manage the execution of product roadmap and PayPal’s Enterprise Hadoop Portfolio.
• Build strong relationships with key product group leaders and develop a framework for translating and communicating roadmap and lifecycle requirements for all the relevant parties
• Reach out to key customers and conduct requirements, demo and iteration walkthroughs with end users.
• Support our partner and developer user communities with integrating Hadoop into their systems (ETL/Teradata etc).
• Meet all KPIs and ATBs. Provide world class operational support and up-time. Ensure cluster stability and 24x7 availability.
- Results oriented technology leader with significant experience in managing complex operations and systems infrastructure.
- Expert in Hadoop Operations and cluster deployments at large scale.
- Managed globally distributed high performance dev/ops teams with a passion and understanding of how to build a DevOps organization.
- Managed Agile/scrum, dev/ops team methodology and processes.
- Proficient in managing a department including budget, contracts, and vendor relationships.
- Technical understanding of Hadoop, the Hadoop ecosystem and emerging Big Data technologies.
- Capable of producing all types of documents including statement of direction, functional specifications, Power Point presentations, etc.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at once, set priorities, work independently, problem solve, improvise, and function as part of a team that performs well under pressure.
- Experience collaborating across virtual cross-functional teams that are not under direct control including product management, vendors and customers.
- Superior customer and communications skills, both written and verbal. Strong presentation skills.
- Thrives in fast-paced environment within an established data management company.
- 5+ years of Hadoop management, technical or engineering experience, plus Enterprise software experiencepreferred.
- Hands-on experience with Hadoop and Big Data management technologies (Apache Hadoop, Hortonworks, Cloudera, etc.) would be ideal.
We're a purpose-driven company whose beliefs are the foundation for how we conduct business every day. We hold ourselves to our One Team Behaviors which demand that we hold the highest ethical standards, to empower an open and diverse workplace, and strive to treat everyone who is touched by our business with dignity and respect. Our employees challenge the status quo, ask questions, and find solutions. We want to break down barriers to financial empowerment. Join us as we change the way the world defines financial freedom.
PayPal provides equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, PayPal will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.