The Sr. Machine Learning Engineer is responsible for supporting the business by developing Integrated data solutions analyzing datasets, interpreting results, and developing actionable insights and recommendations for use across the company. This position will develop and deploy AI/Machine Learning models in GCP or other cloud platform that enable automation and support strategic priorities of the business units. In addition, the Engineer will be responsible for data mining and testing against hypotheses which impact Key Performance Indicators. The Data Science Engineer is an expert at working with structured and non-structured data sources and other programming/scripting languages. The role requires strong programing background and analytical mindset to collect requirements and translate them into an analytical solution. This person needs to have the ability to ask the right questions and translate complex technical details into business language for leadership. Ideal candidates enjoy working in demanding and fast-paced environments and are proactive, goal-oriented and team players. We are open to remote candidates based in the United States for this role.
Reports To: Sr. Director, Enterprise Data Analytics & AI
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Integrate and aggregate complex data from multiple data sources and platforms that enhance business access to information and facilitate a data driven culture
- Develop and deploy machine learning and AI models in cloud platform to enable and support strategic priorities of DBI across departments.
- Collaborate with stakeholders across organization to understand requirements, assimilate data needed, build predictive/prescriptive models, communicate results, and deploy predictions on edge or central database system for real time or batch predictions.
- Build an AI infrastructure and set standards for leveraging GCP platform to enable and educate citizen data scientists to leverage the power of machine learning, Build self-serve AI framework.
- Develop a strategic working relationship with cross-functional teams to align the data solutions to business KPI’s, levers and goals.
- Drive cross-functional teams to meet business objectives and influence co-workers and stakeholders, fostering strong working relationships. Ability to stand by decisions and move forward with courage.
- Lead several concurrent initiatives/projects to develop custom, easy-to-use self-service solutions to serve multiple stakeholder groups and business objectives.
- Furnish analysis with analytical insight while maintaining completeness, accuracy, and documentation. Identify areas and define solutions to maximize value-add to the organization
- Experience with Big Data environments (very large 1st party data integrating multiple internal and external disjointed data)
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy using descriptive and predictive analytics that optimize statistical efficiency and quality of the model
- Experience in development and deployment of models in GCP including Vertex AI, Bigquery ML, Tensor Flow models and AutoML
- Strong Knowledge of supervised and unsupervised deep learning algorithms and experience in advanced deep learning libraries like TensorFlow, Keras, Pytorch, Caffe, Theano etc.
- Strong statistical knowledge and understanding of application of algorithms based on data and business need.
- Experience in model metrics monitoring, orchestrating ML workflows using pipelines, version control, model drift management.
- Extensive background in statistical analysis, computational sciences, mathematics, physics, or econometrics.
- Experience in Cloud based AI Platforms - GCP experience is preferred.
- Experience working with underlying databases and tables. Understands table relationships to be able to do dimensional modeling; understands lookup tables and fact tables.
- Advanced analytical and problem-solving skills and an ability to work independently in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment.
- Entrepreneurial spirit - self-motivated, strong sense of ownership/accountability, and results oriented with the ability to manage time and schedules effectively.
SETTING GOALS – Creates and follow effective plans. Anticipates risks, creates contingency plans. Aligns plans with goals. Allocates adequate resources. Accepts and supports change. Willing to take risks and suggests new ideas, approaches. Takes initiative. Seeks out learning activities.
WORKING WITH OTHERS – Clearly articulates own, other’s goals. Promotes a team atmosphere by demonstrating humility and respect. Builds effective relationships, relates well to others. Delivers and responds to feedback in a constructive manner. Considers multiple perspectives. Handles conflict, pressure, uncertainty and adapts independently. Meets commitments. Dedicated to working with business partners on their expectations.
GETTING RESULTS – Personally accountable for work performance targets and achieving results. Prioritizes well. Anticipates and handles obstacles effectively. Makes good, timely decisions. Can simply and process complex problems. Understands underlying issues and addresses root causes. Meets deadlines, works until finished.
- 5+ years of experience developing and deploying machine learning models is required
- 3+ years of experience working with large datasets
- Experience with cloud infrastructure platforms (Google Cloud Platform) is preferable
- Ability to write reusable code components
- Familiarity with programming languages such as R and/or Python/ Julia/ Scala
- Communication skills including the ability to identify and communicate data driven insights
- Master’s Degree with 5+ years of experience, or PhD preferred
- Retail experience preferred.
- Degree in Analytics or other STEM field (Data Analytics, Data Science, Computer Science, Data Engineering, Applied Mathematics)
- Bachelor’s Degree with 5+ years of experience
ALREADY AN ASSOCIATE?
You must apply through our internal portal:
Empowering associates and building strong teams poised to disrupt the retail and footwear landscape through positive change is at the core of who we are at Designer Brands.
- Invested in helping our associates learn, develop, achieve and grow into strong leaders
- Shared commitment to creating a culture fueled by engagement, excitement, optimism and fun
- Dedicated to giving back and community involvement
About Designer Brands:
Designer Brands Inc. is one of North America’s largest designers, producers and retailers of footwear and accessories.
- Designer Brands Inc. operates a portfolio of retail concepts in nearly 1,000 locations under the DSW Designer Shoe Warehouse, The Shoe Company, and Shoe Warehouse brands and operates leased locations in the U.S through its Affiliated Business Group.
- Designer Brands designs and produces footwear and accessories through Camuto Group, a leading manufacturer selling in more than 5,400 doors worldwide.