Lincoln Financial Group, a Fortune 250 company with over 10,000 employees, provides advice and solutions that help empower Americans to take charge of their financial lives with confidence. Our core business areas — Life Insurance, Annuities, Retirement Plan Services and Group Protection — focus on supporting, preserving and enhancing over 17 million customer’s lifestyles and retirement outcomes.
Headquartered in Radnor, Pennsylvania, Lincoln Financial Group is the marketing name for Lincoln National Corporation (NYSE: LNC) and its affiliates. The company had $253 billion in assets under management as of December 31, 2017.
Ranked one of the Best Large Employers in America by Forbes magazine, Lincoln Financial Group makes a serious investment in our employees’ futures through a broad range of wealth accumulation and protection plans, health and wellness programs, and career development resources designed to help each individual reach their personal and professional goals.
As the Senior Underwriting Director (SUD), you will have dual responsibility to underwrite and support the risk assessment of Individual Life Applications and to act in a leadership role for underwriters on the team. You will be assigned the most complex/high face amount cases and act as the underwriter on those cases, and support other underwriters on the team through second signature. You will manage underwriters and be the primary interface on complex underwriting issues between the team and other resources.
- Evaluates and handles all underwriting aspects of formal & informal individual life insurance applications with face amounts up to $20,000,000.
- Manages the risk selection process of the team to established financial objectives related to mortality results.
- Negotiates sensitive, high-impact underwriting decisions with key distribution partners.
- Maintains a strong working relationship with the Chief Underwriter, Divisional Chief Underwriters and medical department in evaluating complex underwriting cases.
- Educates customers on underwriting guidelines, practices & procedures through conference calls, agency visits and marketing meeting.
- Conducts underwriting presentations at industry and marketing meetings
- Manages to annual budget as it specifically relates to underwriting
- Works closely with theUnderwritingAuditand Training & Development organizations in the Office of the Chief Underwrite to drive consistency, continuous improvement and management through metrics
- Manages, develops and mentors underwriters on the team, managing their performance and their professional growth. Manages the underwriting productivity, quality, and service delivery of the underwriters
- Provides underwriting guidance, training and support to underwriters on a cross-functional team with an annual sales goal of $20,000,000 to $60,000,000 and with an annual budget of $900,000 to $2,500,000.
- Maintains a strong and sustainable working relationship with distributionchannel on individual cases and supporting the team’s overall partnership with the channel.
- Works closely with the UnderwritingAccount Executive and Office of the Chief Underwriter to share best practices and ensure consistent/efficient execution, to balance workloads and the deployment of flexible resources to meet high priority customer needs.
- Undergraduate Degree or 4+ years of comparable work experience
- Minimum of 10 Years of Individual Life Underwriting Experience
- Experience in hiring, retaining, coaching and developing staff via a culture of real-time performance feedback, with ability to build both technical and leadership skills.
- Technical underwriting expertise to handle and review large face amount and complex cases in a high volume environment.
- Understanding of Lincoln’s underwriting policies, guidelines practices and procedures, and has the ability to influence and champion changes to improve processes while maintaining mortality expectations.
- Strong technical underwriting knowledge of the Lincoln & Swiss Re underwriting manuals, and the internal underwriting Q & A. Exceptional underwriting knowledge in the areas of medical, non-medical & financialunderwriting and the ability to apply that knowledge to individual cases.
- Demonstrates the ability to distill complex medical and financial information and communicate that information in a clear and understandable way to the satisfaction of the end customer.
- Demonstrates strong understanding of sales themes and concepts of varying levels of complexity.
- Demonstrates effective communication, negotiation and relationship management skills.
- Understands documents such as policies, proposals, claims and financialreports
- Ability to adapt and customize content and communication style to fit a variety of specific external and internal target audiences such as: senior management, senior distribution partners, brokers, and all levels of employees
- Expertise in analyzing and interpreting complex financial documents including profit/loss statements, income statements, and balance sheets
- Expertise in estate growth calculations and life expectancy calculations.
- Ability to provide direction to underwriters on highly complex unique cases.
- A demonstrated track record of consistently meeting and/or exceeding expectations
- Possesses a bias for action and avoids workplace distractions
- Drives performance targets to completion
This position may be subject to Lincoln’s Political Contribution Policy. An offer of employment may be contingent upon disclosing to Lincoln the details of certain political contributions. Lincoln may decline to extend an offer or terminate employment for this role if it determines political contributions made could have an adverse impact on Lincoln’s current or future business interests, misrepresentations were made, or for failure to fully disclose applicable political contributions and or fundraising activities.
Any unsolicited resumes/candidate profiles submitted through our web site or to personal e-mail accounts of employees of Lincoln Financial Group are considered property of Lincoln Financial Group and are not subject to payment of agency fees.