POSITION SUMMARY**Can be located near any Aetna or CVS office location.**
Would you like to join Fortune 7 CVS Health as part of our dynamic legal team? As Senior Legal Counsel, you will provide regulatory and strategic legal counsel to internal business partners with respect to healthcare laws and regulations. You will proactively advise business partners on a wide variety of matters and work collaboratively with other attorneys and partners on matters related to legal and regulatory
The Sr Legal Counsel position will identify business and legal risks and provide solutions which balance legal issues and business objectives. In this role, you will be expected to develop a keen understanding of the business and operational goals of assigned internal clients and work diligently to develop and maintain positive relationships with clients at all levels of the organization.
The Sr Legal Counsel position supports pharmacy benefit management services. You will recommend practical and sound advice to internal clients on legal issues related to business objectives and take an active role in driving projects to final result.
Fundamental Components:The following is a list of fundamental job responsibilities for the Sr Legal Counsel position:
- Provides legal guidance with respect to prospective, new and existing business activities.
- Provides expertise in federal and state law relating to healthcare, health insurance and pharmacy benefits.
- Advises clients with respect to the application of statutes and regulations to the Company's business activities.
- Analyzes proposed or recently enacted laws, regulations and sub-regulatory guidance to determine their applicability to pharmacy benefit management services.
- Manages escalated legal matters
- Conducts significant legal research, translating business requirements into plain language, and documenting legal guidance for internal business clients.
- Summarizes significant legal requirements for business areas to identify impact and action steps to address.
- Provides legal expertise to companywide initiatives, projects or specialized legal matters
- Serves as a resource to other lawyers across CVS Health with respect to matters of state or federal laws, regulations and statutes.
- Serves as an informal mentor to other lawyers or junior staff to support career and talent development.
- Protects and promotes the interests of the Company, its customers and shareholders.
- Complies with applicable legal requirements.
- Consults with other subject matter experts, including Product Counsel, Regional Counsel, Government Affairs, Privacy and Regulatory Compliance.
- Performs special research projects
- Provides work guidance to other legal professionals, paralegals and support staff in developing solutions to problems presented.
- Provides business sensitive and balanced advice/legal counsel
- Drafts and executes legal documents.
- Admitted to practice law in at least one state and in good standing of applicable bar association(s).
- 5+ years of post-bar experience in a law firm and/or in-house/corporate settings.
- Experience demonstrating high level of interpersonal skills and diplomatic finesse.
- Experience demonstrating strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated expertise with legal acumen, drafting and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated excellent problem-solving skills.
- Experience demonstrating solid business and legal judgment.
- Experience providing legal advice and counsel to executive and senior management.
- Knowledge of federal laws concerning health care and health insurance law including Affordable Care Act, HIPAA, ERISA, and the Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act.
- Knowledge of state insurance laws, and the relationship between state and federal laws.
The highest level of education desired for candidates in this position is a JD.
LICENSES AND CERTIFICATIONS
Legal/License To Practice Law is required
ADDITIONAL JOB INFORMATION
Aetna is about more than just doing a job. This is our opportunity to re-shape healthcare for America and across theglobe. We are developing solutions to improve the quality and affordability of healthcare. What we do will benefit generations to come.
We care about each other, our customers and our communities. We are inspired to make a difference, and we are committed to integrity and excellence.
Together we will empower people to live healthier lives.
Aetna is an equal opportunity & affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of personal characteristics or status. We take affirmative action to recruit, select and develop women, people of color, veterans and individuals with disabilities.
We are a company built on excellence. We have a culture that values growth, achievement and diversity and a workplace where your voice can be heard.