Senior Software Engineer - Search Platform
Are you interested in working in a sector that combines Education and Technology? are you interested in working for a product that is experienced by millions of students? are you interested in working for a team that values innovation above everything else? are you interested working for a public company that embeds startup culture? If you answer YES to all these questions, please read on!
At Chegg, we value students first! Chegg search engineering team is building the next generation of search platform that forms the backbone of our studentexperiences. We are looking for a Senior level engineer LIKE YOU to join our team and help us to further design and development of this platform.
Search Engineering team at Chegg takes care of search in textbooks, textbook solutions,
Questions & Answers, Tutors, Careers, etc, across all vertical sectors of student life. The team is missioned to build a search and personalization platform, which enables search query intent analysis, results re-ranking based on the seasonality of schools, and result in relevance modeling by trimming, sorting and merging of search results.
There is more than just design and coding software - we want you to be able to measure the business impact of search technology, things like real-time streaming & instrumentation of search query pipeline, server-side A/B testing, search aggregation, query replays, etc. All these require you have a deep understanding of both the science and how it is applied through technology.
What’s in it for you:
- Impact - This role has a tremendous influence on how search impacts all other products in Chegg as well as how the wonderful services will be experienced by our students. The right engineering candidate will thrive in this environment — influencing the way students are able to explore the content that will shape the outcome of these educational experience.
- Vision - This role requires you bring up your own vision to lead the technical direction for the team, and drive the product by your vision, while still maintaining hands-on technical responsibilities.
- Innovation & Rewards - You will be very well rewarded for your contributions & innovations. You have full support from directors and execs to bring your innovation ideas to full production! You are encouraged to bring cutting-edge technologies to the product!
What you will do:
- Build scalable and distributed search system including content acquisition, indexing, and query platform.
- Continuously improve reliability, scalability, and stability of search servers and processes.
- Architect solutions for real-time indexing, search relevance optimization and search quality.
- Work cross-functionality with other teams in Chegg to drive the innovations of the product.
- Participate in the hiring process for the search engineering team.
What you have:
- 10+ years of design and development experience in building scalable, high-performing and robust backend Java applications; it’s essential to have experiences with concurrency, multithreading, server architectures, and distributed systems.
- Experience with large scale search infrastructure. Familiarity with Lucene/Solr a plus.
- Experience with text processing of queries, documents, and appliedlinguistics.
- A proven track record of optimization and design improvements for performance and scalability.
- Strong knowledge of database fundamentals and SQL programming.
- Outstanding attention to detail and excellent communication skills
- BS / MS / Ph.D. in Computer Science or related field
- Experience working in start-ups or agile development teams a plus
About Chegg: As the leading student-first connected learning platform, Chegg's Student Hub makes higher education more affordable and more accessible, all while improving student outcomes. Chegg is a publicly-held company based in Santa Clara, California and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG and has 900+ employees with offices in Santa Clara, San Francisco, Portland, New York, Provo, Atlanta, Israel, and Ukraine and trades on the NYSE under the symbol CHGG. Chegg Student Hub Services Include Chegg Study, Chegg Tutoring, Careers Search, InternshipAdmissions, and College Admissions.
Job Type: Full-time
- database fundamentals and SQL programming: 8years
- large scale search infrastructure. Familiarity with Lucene/Solr a plus: 8years
- text processing of queries, documents, and appliedlinguistics: 8years
- large scale search infrastructure: 8years