Responsible for supervising multiple engagements and other related activities under the general direction of the VP Internal Audit. The Senior Internal Auditor performs a variety of audits, reviews, and special projects, including but not limited to, financial, operational and information systems reviews and fraud investigations. The Senior Internal Auditor also acts in a consultative role to assist management in evaluating risks; new processes, systems, and products; and the efficient and proper use of resources.
ESSENTIAL POSITION FUNCTIONS:
- Contribute to the annual audit planning process by participating in the audit universe Risk Assessments activities.
- With limited supervision, successfully execute all phases of theaudit process for projects with varyingdegrees of complexities:
- Plan and project manage the engagements in order to complete audits in the Audit Plan as scheduled.
- Develop audit objectives and scope that effectively address risks to the organization.
- Conduct walkthroughs and interviews, and develop process narratives or flowcharts.
- Perform and document audit entity risk assessments to identify risks and key control points, and develop detailed test procedures appropriate for the risk profile of the process.
- Train, supervise, and approve the work of staff or consultants assigned to complete portions of the audit.
- Develop workpapers that address the objectives of the audit program and support the conclusions reached during testing.
- With minimal supervision and edits, draft audit conclusions, discuss potential issues with clients, and prepare and deliver other communication documents in a clear and concise manner. Evaluate management’s remedial action plan to ensure sustainable management of risk.
- Follow-up and validate management’s corrective actions to internal and external audit recommendations.
- Contribute to the development of the Department by effectively participating in risk assessment activities; creating and utilizing audit tools; staying abreast of industry (financial and audit) news and standards; and establishing stakeholder relationships to a mutually respectful, trusted, and productive level.
- Support and uphold the Standards for Professional Practice of Internal Auditing as well as the Code of Ethics established by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Other duties as assigned, including special reviews and investigations requested of management
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Business related field. A minimum of seven years of combined experience in public or internal audit and in the credit union, banking, or financial services industry.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Working knowledge, skills, and experience in applying the principles and practices of internal auditing in accounting, financial, and operational environments, including auditing business functions and information systems.
- Demonstrated general accounting, financial and business skills, knowledge, and experience.
- Demonstrated skills in the identification and resolution of business problems. Ability to research and identify best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and document business processes and related internal controls in narrative and/or flowchart formats.
- Strong project management and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt quickly to changing demands and environment and rapidly develop in-depth knowledge of new audit areas.
- Demonstrated analytical skills.Ability to data mine and draw conclusions from analytical reviews.
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and presentation skills. Ability to persuade and articulate positions.
- Working knowledge of internal controls and audit practices.
Proficiency in Microsoft Applications (Word, Excel, Outlook) required. Experience working with CAAT and audit management applications a plus.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
Preferred Certified Internal Auditor, Certified Public Accountant, CFSA, CRP or other industry certification.