PRIMARY PURPOSE:The Sr. Internal Auditor will perform risk-based financial and operational internal audit work per generally accepted professional audit standards and guidelines throughout Vitalant, as well as advisory projects, including the coordination of such with others or the supervision of such work performed by others.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs all assigned duties in compliance with internal SOPs and external regulations. Brings compliance issues to the attention of management.
- Assures quality customer service to all internal and external customers, develops strong customer relationships, fosters collaboration, and becomes a trusted business partner and resource.
- Works closely with VP, Internal Audit & ERM to build a strong risk-based audit/advisory function completing projects from start to finish.
- Plans and manages audit engagements, including the planning and development of programs for audit testing and evaluation, staff supervision and evaluation, quality assurance, and reporting of audit results with participation in these activities under the direction of the VP, Internal Audit & ERM.
- Define the detailed project scope by conducting preliminary surveys and performing risk analyses to identify key risks. Prepare detailed audit plans to address those key risks.
- Conduct financial and operational audits/advisory projects independently from start to finish of moderate to complex situations to evaluate and document whether control systems provide reasonable assurance regarding the achievement of the following objectives: effectiveness and efficiency of operations; reliability of financial reporting; compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and internal policies; and safeguarding assets from waste, loss, and abuse.
- Conduct and complete audits by examining records, procedures, operating practices, and applying best practice audit techniques to drive department innovation. Complete work papers by documenting discussions, observations, audit tests and findings.
- Develop meaningful and effective recommendations and identify opportunities for improvement. Prepare formal written reports to be distributed to members of the Audit committee, Vitalant executive management, as well as to management over the areas reviewed.
- Schedules and perform follow-up audits as required to report on the current status of action plans.
- Develop a thoughtful data analysis program to monitor key Company transactions and identify areas needing review to support a risk-based focus.
- Conduct special projects independently, with members of the audit department, external auditors, or internal teams, as required.
- Identifies and research emerging risks and regulatory financial reporting changes to assist and counsel Vitalant management on planning and strategy execution.
- Performs all other duties, at the discretion of management, as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or finance required.
- MBA preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting principles including (GAAP and GAAS), Internal audit standards, COSO risk framework, required.
- CPA/CIA/CISA certification preferred.
- Five or more years experience in internal audit or CPA financial statement attestation with a CPA firm, or combination of both required.
- Demonstrated history of increased responsibility required.
- Healthcare experience preferred.
- Experience in cutting edge audit techniques, including data science, predictive analytics and risk reviews preferred.
- Knowledge of federal government auditing Yellow Book guidelines, background in information systems security and application, Sarbanes Oxley preferred.
- Must possess the skills and abilities to successfully perform all assigned duties and responsibilities.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality and build credibility.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with others to reach mutually agreeable outcomes Superior verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, to interface with all levels of staff and leadership including the ability to write with simplicity and clarity.
- Excellent presentation and training skills including the ability to engage audiences with credibility.
- Must have analytical, statistical, personal organization, and problem solving skills.
- Must have demonstrated ability to work well with all levels of an organization.
- Must be able to work independently, clearly identify issues/discrepancies, bring them forward timely, and successfully complete audits/projects from start to finish.
- Self-directed, innovative, and able to assess financial and operational data applying quantitative and qualitative analytical audit techniques.
- Must have proficient computer skills.