Our Client is seeking to hire an experience I&E Process Control Engineer for our Baytown facility. This position will be in our shared engineering group working on CapEx design projects.
The primary responsibility of this role is to provide I&E (instrumentation and electrical) / PCT (process control technology) engineering and leadership services for the preparation and execution of I&E / PCT portions of projects for chemical manufacturing facilities. Candidates for this position must have demonstrated project management experience. This position will coordinate across all engineering disciplines. Candidates with field engineering as well as I&E design experience will rise to the top of the interview list. Experience with Delta V controls and Knowledge of low voltageelectrical systems 480v . Experience with Smartplant- Instrumentation is desired.
The incumbent will:
• Lead project PCT teams consisting of engineering and design personnel
• Be responsible for planning and supporting all phases of capital investment projects including concept development, estimating, basic engineering, detailed engineering and design, procurement, and construction and start-up of new or modified production facilities
• Follow practices, standards, guidelines, and procedures for preparation of estimates, scopes, specifications, design, and other deliverable s
• Responsible for all I&E / PCT aspects of engineering to ensure all project objectives including safety, technical correctness, budget, construct-ability, schedule, maintainability, and operability are met
• Interface with other engineering disciplines/departments, customers and vendors/suppliers to ensure successful development and execution of projects
• Generate, review and approve I&E / PCT specifications, drawings and other documentation assist in compiling construction packages
• Coordinate field support, and participate in check out, commissioning and start up
• Modify existing or create new process I&E / PCT procedures, standards and practices to stay current with technology and implement improved methods.
Major tasks and responsibilities of position
• Develops independently process control strategies and alarm and information management.
• Review and approve I&E / PCT requirements and develop documentation for I&E / PCT .
• Directs teams to analyze and define I&E / PCT requirements and to perform actual configuration and testing of control systems.
• Participate in all preliminary and process safety reviews with particular emphasis on PCT systems and equipment, interlocking, alarming, safety systems, etc.
• Directs designers, contractors, vendors, and technicians from conceptual design through construction and commissioning of I&E / PCT systems.
• Generate all hardware and software documentation required to procure, configure, test, install and maintain the I&E / PCT systems.
• Interfaces with other engineering disciplines, designers, operations, and maintenance personnel as necessary to achieve project objectives.
• Responsible for cost and schedule within assigned area of responsibility.
This position is responsible for the total I&E / PCT requirements for assigned projects. He/she provides necessary detail I&E / PCT engineering plus directs activities of others involved with realizing I&E / PCT strategies.
Key parameters of performance include schedule compliance, scope compliance, and cost control.
The incumbent is involved in problem solving decisions on a daily basis. Major areas are:
• Develops alternative solutions to problems, handles complex problems independently.
• Demonstrates strong technical expertise and ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
• Displays flexibility with assignments in different units/plants.
• Applies new technology.
• Properly applies standards and guidelines especially related to I&E / PCT documentation, configuration conventions, and testing.
• Identifies customer's requirements and negotiation of the best cost/benefit solution.
• Enforces standards and policies/procedures and submitting deviations when required.
• Performs special studies to evaluate new equipment or engineering tools for the project or PCT department Provides consistent application of technical knowledge.
• Leads projects of larger scope (or portions of projects) and is often called upon by peers for guidance.
• Coaches and teaches junior members of the department and provides input to performance evaluations.
• Makes independent decisions within defined areas of responsibility.
• Serves as a consultant to management within a specified area/discipline.
• Advances technical project proposals to senior management, following through to successful completion.
• Influences commitment of resources at divisional/departmental level.
• Reports administratively to the Site Project Engineering PCT Lead or assigned designate.
• Reports functionally for large projects to the PCT lead engineer or to the respective Project Manager.
• Can be functionally responsible for other direct and/or contract engineers, designers, or programmers as a project or assignment related activity. Participation in special committees and study groups both at the plant level and corporate level may be assigned to the incumbent.
• Works closely with project engineers, process engineers, mechanical and piping engineers, PCT area engineers, and production personnel. Technical assistance is provided to the construction department and a presence in the field during construction and commissioning activities may be necessary.
BS, Degree in Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering plus 4 years of experience
MS Degree in Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering plus 2 plus years of experience
PhD Degree in Electrical, Chemical, Mechanical or Industrial Engineering plus 1 year of experience
Six to 15 years of experience in chemical, petrochemical or industrialfacilities in I&E / PCT design and engineering or equivalent experience
• Professional registration in the State of Texas.
• Excellent knowledge of PCT documentation, automation validation, quality assurance, etc.
• Excellent knowledge of process control strategies and systems safety systems and industrial control networks
• Excellent knowledge of process instrumentation
• Strong computer hardware and software skills SmartPlant- Instrumentation
• Excellent knowledge of relevant national and international standards in the area of process control, low voltageelectrical, and instrumentation
• Knowledge of project control skills including project planning, scheduling, cost control, and contract development
• Experience in providing field support and participating in check out, commissioning, and start-up of process control installations
• Systematic approach to problem definition and solution development
• Ability to work as a member of cross-functional teams and to participate in multiple projects simultaneously
• Strong organizational and interpersonal skills to deal with people at different levels of management, engineering and design, and with internal customers (e.g. engineering, maintenance, operations) and suppliers of PCT material and services
Candidate Must Have:
BS, MS or PhD - Electrical Engineering
I&E Design Experience
Project Management Experience
Professional Engineer in Texas