Los Angeles, CA
Industry: Finance & Insurance•
5 - 7 years
Posted 28 days ago
Under general direction with a high level of autonomy, uses extensive knowledge and skills obtained through education and experience, to administer and manage the most complex database management systems. Works with NonStop engineers to ensure optimum performance of the NonStop platform. Partners with other engineers to help mediate performance issues (reactive and proactive) and modify strategies and document for long term resolution. Leads major projects, programs or processes with significant business impact. Influences strategic direction and develops tactical plans and completes complex assignments. End results are evaluated for achieving goals and objectives. Extensive contact with internal customers and other information technology (IT) professionals is required to identify, research, analyze and resolve complex database issues and problems. Handles difficult problems independently and demonstrates analytical thinking. Is able to make logical judgements and recommendations based on the analysis and interpretation of data. This position will sit in Denver, CO or Southfield, MI.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• May lead the work of others and provide training, as required.
• Coaches and mentors less experienced associates.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to communicate complex database concepts to associates with varying levels of technical knowledge.
• Ensures high availability, security and integrity of assigned databases.
• Implements data models and database designs and enables applications with efficient back-end access and processing.
• Resolves performance, capacity, replication, and other distributed data issues.
• Evaluates database architecture, backup, fault tolerance and security procedures and recommends enterprise wide standards.
• Evaluates new releases of operating systems and database management software (DBMS) and suggests processes for migrating to new releases.
• Develops standards for database maintenance plans, security and database configuration.
• Participates in data modeling and database logical and physical design for large mission critical databases with enterprise-wide visibility.
• Participates in application development process and code reviews of database objects.
• Analyzes long-term database performance trends to optimize database and application performance.
• Configures middleware, web servers and On-Line Analytical Processing (OLAP) tools.
• Configures, supports, and optimizes replication.
• Identifies emerging technologies that can better support user needs, participates in prototyping the use of those technologies, and supports decision-making regarding technical direction.
• Designs processes and procedures on projects that will accelerate technologies for our business partners and clients including the rollout of innovative products and services as well as upgrades to the current environment.
• Partners with IT and Business leadership to interpret the needs of the enterprise into NonStop platform solutions.
• Operates standard office equipment and uses required software applications.
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Experience and Skills:
• Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, MIS or related discipline and seven (7) years of related experience or a combination of education, training and experience
• Minimum two years NonStop DBA experience
• Experience creating and supporting SQL/MP databases (including reloads and re-partitioning)
• Experience creating and supporting TACL routines, macros, obey files.
• Performance analysis, tuning and capacity planning
• Experience with Prognosis/Measure/Remote Analyst
• Thorough knowledge of Guardian OS
• Experience with NonStop Blade and/or X86 environment
• Experience with Systems Programming
• Experience doing Tandem System Generation (SYSGEN)
• Experience doing Tandem Systems Administration, COLDLOADS, settings
• Experience doing Tandem hardware and software installation
• Experience with SQL/MX and OSS a plus
• Experience with GoldenGate (or comparable replication tools) a plus
• Experience with Nonstop COBOL85 with embedded SQL/MP a plus
• Experience with Enscribe files and DDL record layouts a plus
• None Required