The Health & Benefits (H&B) Consultant will act as the lead consultant on some client accounts and/or support the lead consultant in managing client accounts for employers with more than 5,000 employees. The consultant interacts with clients and develops relationships, is involved in developing strategies to meet clients' needs, and takes on the role of a trusted advisor. The consultant will also manage projects and lead teams in researching, analyzing, and evaluating medical, dental, life and disability benefits plans and programs. To fulfill this role, the H&B Consultant will:
- Demonstrate project management and consulting skills such as: participate or lead the consulting team in developing the overall strategy to address the client's needs; manage the scope, quality, timeliness and budget of multiple client deliverables; develop budgets and billing reports; facilitate and participate in or lead client calls and meetings; delegate to and review project work of more junior colleagues which includes review of financial, contract, and administrative analysis; provide direction to analysts and other team members in the preparation and delivery of clear and concise client presentations
- Provide high level financial, contract and/or administrative analysis and review of the work of junior staff. Provide guidance and training to junior staff on this analysis.
- Perform data analysis (example includes but is not limited to review claims and utilization data and look for trends and patterns); may involve use of the Mercer's internal financial tools to develop self funded claims projections, set rates and model employee cost-sharing scenarios
- Review internal compliance and client disclosure requirements, external vendor contracts, summary plan documents (SPD's) and employee communications to ensure alignment with client expectations and legal requirements
- Manage ad-hoc client requests including problem-solving on administrative and operations issues
- Act as a subject matter expert in Health & Benefit products, services, technical tools, and vendor/carrier markets. Includes developing relationships with vendors in order to understand and compare products and services being offered and recommend solutions to clients. Understand advanced underwriting and financial techniques and intranet resources such as H&B MercerLink by participating in training courses, online learning, or through learning from more experienced colleagues
- Develop and maintain personal and working relationships with key client stakeholders to transition into the role of a trusted advisor and facilitate the sharing of advice and information relevant to the client, developing new and expanded business, and gain client referrals.
- BA/BS preferred
- At least seven years of H&B or related experience
- Knowledge of MS Office Tools (Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a demanding work environment
- Ability to partner and lead teams to deliver project objectives; ability to work independently and on a team
- Required to obtain and maintain appropriate licenses as required by state regulations and Mercer policies