Sr. Hardware Engineer - Electronics
The Senior Hardware Engineer – Electronics is responsible for the integration of electrical, electronic, and software systems into developments of new floor care products, including robotic vacuum products. This person will have Electrical Engineering experience for both hardware and software components and their integration to support new product development. Candidate is expected to have experience in the design, analysis, implementation, and evaluation of electronics hardware. Candidate is expected to provide guidance and recommendations to strategic decisions related to these areas. Candidate will be expected to work with internal and external contributors, both foreign and domestic in origin to ensure product development from concept to shelf.
- Key role in New Product Development projects as systems designer and integrator of hardware and software into new devices.
- With some oversight, define and approve overall electronics architecture choices with foresight to future products and creating and/or staying within the overall BISSELL platform solution(s). Choices should be derived using engineering analysis methods based on project constraints in cost, schedule, and resources.
- Collaborate with internal electrical / electronics development teams as well as partner with external design resources to achieve and deliver product design targets and deliver additional value to internal and external stakeholders with definition of functions and data collection.
- Utilize and demonstrate proficiency in electronic design and development tools to architect and build specifications and requirements for hardware and software systems that can be integrated into BISSELL products and existing and new BISSELL suppliers.
- Utilize design resources to create and evaluate electrical schematics, PCBA layouts, component selection, and electronics architecture.
- Work closely with BISSELL product development engineers to integrate the mechanical aspects of the product into the overall floor care product design.
- Work closely with BISSELL compliance engineers to obtain product approvals for electronics sub-systems, if applicable, and approvals of the overall product that have direct relevance to the electronics.
- Recommend and specify relevant test equipment and fixtures needed for electrical measurement, testing, and qualification.
- Provide knowledge and guidance for quality improvement and cost reduction projects involving electrical systems within floor care products.
- Position holder will have a solid foundation in engineering fundamentals, proven verbal and written communication capabilities, organizational, and project management skills, failure mode effect analysis and/or risk analysis, is desired.
- May be required to perform other duties as assigned. broad technical knowledge
- Degree minimum: Bachelor’s degree in EE or CE (Master’s preferred)
- Specific concentration: Electrical Engineering, Electronics Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or similar. A broad understanding of embedded systems is needed to be successful, including but not limited to: microprocessors, microcontrollers, detection systems, embedded software architecture, circuit design, controls theory, simulation, power supplies, motors and batteries.
- Experience level: 5-7+ years minimum in software, electrical, or systems engineering
- Electronics Design Experience: Basic design of High Voltage (120VAC and 220VAC) Input Power Supplies, low voltage (< 12 VDC) analog input design, 3V3 and 5VDC logic design. Experience with EMF and ESD design mitigation techniques
- Embedded System Experience: Understanding of microcontroller based PCBA and firmware design, distributed systems, safety critical systems, and the definition of communication and power interfaces.
- Battery Systems: Experience with lithium-ion battery packs and charging systems.
- Machine Control Technologies: Experience in developing embedded systems to drive loads such as motors, pumps, and fans. Experience in developing sensor-based product features with infrared, ultrasonic, capacitive, or RF sensing technologies.
- User Interface Technologies: Experience in incorporating electronics to support user interfaces including technologies such as LCD display, LED lighting, capacitive touch, and audio.
- Systems Analysis: Familiarity with trade studies in system design based on constrained resources. Experience in system performance simulation using tools and languages like SPICE, Python, and Matlab.