Key Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Development of hypersonic autopilot topologies and requirements
- Conducting trade studies in both time domain and frequency domain to evaluate candidate system architectures including aerodynamic, structural dynamic, mass properties, IMU, and actuation system characteristics
- Development of overall flight controls strategy/plan for design, analysis, and testing
- Planning, coordinating, and conducting structural dynamics testing including modal testing, ground vibration surveys (GVS), and Missile System Frequency Response (MSFR) testing
- Supporting wind tunnel testing
- Development and implementation of structural dynamics, mass properties, IMU, and actuation system models in linear and nonlinear simulations
- Analysis of hypersonic air vehicle performance both in simulation and flight test
Required Education (including Major):
B.S. from an ABET accredited institution in one of the following: Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or Physics.
- Eight (8) years of professional experience in hypersonic missile autopilot design and analysis, including architecture design and trade studies, requirements development, subsystem model development and implementation, and performance analysis.
- Eight (8) years of professional experience in hypersonic vehicle ground testing and flight testing with proven knowledge of fundamental concepts and a high level of analytical capability to drive technical solutions.
- Eight (8) years of experience developing or modifying code in higher level languages like FORTRAN, Ada, C++, and MATLAB.
- Familiarity with embedded software development and hardware/software integration
- Demonstrated experience taking a hypersonic missile autopilot design from concept to flight test with experience deducing aerodynamic and autopilot subsystem performance from post-flight data analysis
- Business development experience. Experience in technical and cost proposal preparation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience managing suppliers. Experience generating specifications and statements-of-work.
- Must have an existing or the ability to obtain a Department of Defense issued Top Secret Security clearance.
- Must be willing to relocate to Tucson, AZ (comprehensive relocation package available)
- MS or PhD in aforementioned disciplines
- Experience with subsonic, supersonic aerodynamics as well as familiarity with hypersonic/high altitude aerodynamics and thermodynamics and the fundamentals of missile stability & control and flight dynamics.
- Research and/or applied experience in advanced control techniques such as adaptive control, nonlinear control, or integrated guidance and control
- Experience assessing system integration risks through test data analysis
- Knowledge of system engineering design methods including requirements analysis and flow down, specification derivation and interface control documentation
- Performance analysis by simulation including verification and validation techniques
- Ability to operate independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to communicate effectively with senior leadership and other engineering disciplines.
- Experience leading a GNC focused development team
- Well known with established relationships in the hypersonic domain with patents and publications in applicable technical areas.