About Steelcase Inc.
For over 100 years, Steelcase Inc. has helped create great experiences for the world's leading organizations, across industries. We demonstrate this through our family of brands – including Steelcase®, Coalesse®, Designtex®, PolyVision® and Turnstone®. Together, they offer a comprehensive portfolio of architecture, furniture and technology products and services designed to unlock human promise and support social, economic and environmental sustainability. We are globally accessible through a network of channels, including over 800 dealer locations. Steelcase is a global, industry-leading and publicly traded company with fiscal 2016 revenue of $3.1 billion.
We are looking for a Senior Finishing Engineer in Grand Rapids, MI.
With general direction from Manager, provides technical support to Steelcase North America related to coatings materials and coating process engineering.
Support consists of a very broad range of production support, process trouble-shooting and optimization, product development and implementation, technical systems development and administration, methodology development and administration, specialized testing, information and training activities.
A Senior Finishing Engineer will provide leadership and expertise based on a broad background in these various finishing issues. Senior Finishing Engineers may provide formal project management for major initiatives involving finishing issues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Manufacturing support.
A. Quality System support.
B. Environmental Quality Compliance.
C. Cost reduction, efficiency improvement, refinish reduction, etc.
D. Equipment development and installation.
E. Material implementations.
2. Process trouble-shooting and optimization.
A. Daily trouble-shooting.
B. Process capability.
3. New Coating development.
A. Exploration of new materials.
B. Project administration.
C. Testing coordination for qualifications.
4. Technical Systems development and administration.
A. Specification development and revision.
B. Mastering systems physical and electronic.
C. Quality documentation systems.
D. Process documentation.
5. Methodology development and administration.
A. Test method development and enhancement.
6. Specialized testing.
7. Information and training.
- Will receive general direction related to projects and initiatives.
- May provide project management and leadership to Finishing Engineers, Associate Finishing Engineers, and Finishing TechnologyTechnicians.
- May provide training and guidance to production personnel, quality personnel, and other engineers or technicians in various finishing issues.
- Ability to perform and develop mathematical calculations using Engineering principles.
- Requires interpersonal, oral and written communication skills to effectively lead and transfer knowledge to others, including audiences of both technical and non-technical, some levels of management, and production employees.
- Requires presentation skills to achieve acceptance of ideas.
- Understanding of various coating types, their characteristics, principles of formulation, manufacture, and application. The ability to apply that knowledge to development and production support situations.
- Superior color vision preferred. Knowledge of visual and instrumental color measurement principles and techniques and ability to apply to both in-lab and in-plant situations.
- Understanding and working knowledge of the spectrum of physical testing for various coatings. Ability to develop test methodology.
- Understanding of instrument calibration and verification principles. The ability to apply that knowledge to both in-lab and in-plant situations.
- Understanding of scientific method, experimental control, design of experiments.
- Understanding of production finishing, factors that affect paint application, material utilization, product quality, etc.
- Normal Office / lab environment.
- Exposure to some paint and solvent materials during testing, manufacturing support.
- Exposure to production paint shop and mix room environments. Safety awareness and precautions must be strictly adhered to.
- Travel will be required within the GR/Kentwood facilities and offices, supplier facilities, and Steelcase subsidiaries.
- Effective performance requires working with other staff, technical support, manufacturing groups, suppliers and occasional dealer / customers.
- Project management / leadership activity may require interaction with senior levels to STC management.
- Knowledge, expertise, level of contribution and decisions required for effective performance in this position result from a four-year Engineering or Technical degree / certification with a minimum of 5 years’ experience in the Finishing Engineer or equivalent position.
- A two-year technical degree with a minimum of 10 years’ experience in the Finishing Engineer or equivalent position may be considered as equivalency.
Steelcase provides employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants without regard to race, color, creed, genetic information, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, disability, or veteran status and bases all employment decisions only on valid job requirements.