North York (93006), Canada, North York,Toronto, Ontario,
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. External Communications Manager
Talented teams drive our organization forward through ideas and innovation and sharing of success and accomplishments, each step of the way. In addition to being voted "One of the Best Places to Work" in Canada, Capital One offers a team-based, collaborative culture, with a passion for innovation and a great focus on development and growth for associates.
Capital One has celebrated milestones, including:
124 on the Fortune 500
Best Workplaces in Canada (#19) 2017
Best Workplace for Women in Canada (#13) 2017
Canadas top 100 Best Diversity Employer 2017
Canadas top 100 top employer for young people 2017
Canadas top 100 GTA top employers 2017
If you've been looking for a different kind of company then you've come to the right place. At Capital One, you'll find energized, positive people all working together to accomplish one goal - customer satisfaction. With many opportunities to develop new skills and great benefits like educational assistance available, you'll wonder what took you so long to get here.
About the Role:
As part of the Corporate Communications team, the Sr. Manager of PR for Capital One Canada will be a PR strategist with exceptional leadership and communication skills. The Sr. Manager will be responsible for leading the development of strategic and creative external communications plans designed to build the reputation of Capital One Canada. The responsibilities of this role include understanding the Canadian business and its product objectives and establishing a proactive external communications program that promotes them to key external audiences [both customers and pre-customers]. Additionally, this role will be responsible for elevating the internal Capital One leadership through a proactive thought leadership strategy.
The senior manager should have experience designing communications programming that leverages and benefits from the integration of traditional, owned, shared and paid media with an understanding of content creation, distribution and analytics.
In this role, the Sr. Manager will be responsible for working with multiple stakeholders across the organization to ensure the delivery of strategic and integrated communications programs. Providing ongoing communications counsel around issues and crisis management is also a key component of this role.
The scope for this role also includes managing an associate, external agency relationships, large scale budgets and constant monitoring of the industry and competitive media landscape.
- Develop and execute consumer external communications and PR strategy development to address the needs of the business and overall brand reputation
- Build an aggressive thought leadership agenda to elevate the Capital One ambassadors and their story and external communications channels
- Maintain a deep understanding of the products, services and priorities of Capital One and Capital One Canada
- Conceptualize, orchestrate, and execute against product and service marketing campaigns to include all aspects of communications and social/digitalchannels
- Leverage a broad-based knowledge of the external environment and key stakeholders (media, customers, activists, policymakers, community and industry influencers) to provide communications advice and counsel to enhance and protect the corporate reputation
- Strong understanding of online and traditional marketing techniques [i.e., SEO/SEM strategy development] and the ability to communicate how these types of tactics can be leveraged to enhance PR outcomes is very important.
- Coordinate media outreach, leveraging key contacts and managing relationships to ensure media coverage in national and regional dailies, wires, business periodicals, broadcast media, online/social media outlets, industry trades and consumer publications
- Work effectively in cross-functional teams to advance communications strategy to internal key partners and various levels, ranging from senior management to supporting staff
- Ability to influence, motivate, build consensus, and mobilize teams and business partners
- Ability to effectively manage agency partners and vendors
- Work with appropriate divisions to implement specific plans to address key issues
- Serve as PR liaison with external third-party partners to ensure effective execution of plans, coordinating media plans or events, ensuring issues are brought to the forefront for resolution
- Draft communications materials to include strategic plans, press releases, media alerts, speeches, social media content and other communications documents for consumer and business audiences
- Demonstrate skill and genuine interest in research and analysis of current PR trends to foster new and out of the box thinking.
- Excellent presentation and persuasion skills
- Strong project management skills and ability to delegate and handle multiple projects simultaneously
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) Public Relations experience
- Deeply rooted understanding of the public relations industry, and related knowledge of key trade publications, genre publications and local / national outlets
- Monitor, analyze and communicate PR results, insights and learnings on a quarterly basis
- Maintain a keen understanding of industry trends, especially those that impact internal clients and make appropriate recommendations regarding communication strategy surrounding them
- Expert knowledge in the latest in digital and social mediatechnology and channels and how to best leverage for communications programs as part of the overall strategy
- Self-motivated with strong organizational skills, analytical talent and attention to detail
At least 7 years of Public Relations experience
At least 5 years of experience in creating and executing strategic and creative PR campaigns for large organizations
At least 5 years of public relations experience for a large organization
Bilingual (English and French) capabilities - verbal and written
Proficiency with MS Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and media analysis tools
At least 2-3 years of digital marketing experience with a focus on content development, distribution and analytics