Sr. Expert Project / Program Manager
The Senior Expert Project Manager will lead major or complex cross-functional product development projects utilizing our Business Decision Making (Tollgate) process and critical project management tools such as driving a project schedule, risk management, driving decisions and issue resolution. This person will incorporate lessons learned to improve processes and tools system wide. This person will be seen as an expert and mentor for project management in the organization and will address Day to Day questions from other Project Leaders.
In this role, the Senior Expert Project Manager would drive collaboration from Marketing, Sourcing, New Product Development Engineering, Product Engineering, Manufacturing, Brand Marketing, Finance, Sales and Supply Chain focused on the development, commercialization and delivery to the market of new mattress, foundation and pillow product lines for North America.
To be successful in this role, one must successfully lead major cross-functional product development projects that impact the entire lineup within a brand or that introduce complex technology ensuring that the Project Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) are met. This person thinks on a process and project portfolio basis.
Essential Duties, Responsibilities, and Key Results Area:
Other primary duties and responsibilities include the following; however, Management reserves the right to assign or reassign other appropriate duties to this job at any time. This document excludes the marginal functions of the position that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties.
- Leads the cross functional project teams for assigned projects to deliver winning products. on time, on cost and on quality.
- Drives the project team to deliver the Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the project. KPIs include cost, quality, schedule, product performance, brand claims, craftsmanship, net present value, and payback
- Sets and communicates project objectives. Pushes team for options to deliver project targets, appropriately addressing risk, pushing team to achieve more than they thought possible to deliver overall business goals.
- Effectively resolves conflict and engages functional leadership when necessary.
- Drives accountability with core team leads to drive their functional schedules and deliverables, to close functional issues per the Master Project Schedule
- Effectively delegates project tasks and holds team accountable for results.
- Coaches and develops core team members.
- Leads the business decision making tollgate process
- Develops the overall Project MasterSchedule with input from all the functionalschedules.Work with the functional leads on the project core team to ensure their functionalschedulessupport the Master ProjectSchedule. Drive execution of theschedule
- Drives a plan for every component part in the new product that supports the Master Project Schedule.
- Manages the Action and Risk Register for the projects and drive issues to completion. Elevate issues as appropriate
- Leads problem solving efforts with the project team
- Provides effective oral and written communication on project status, suitable for all levels of the organization.
- Drives timely decision making on project issues and tasks, ensuring impact to KPIs are clear to all stakeholders.
- Maintains the One List for their projects
- Participates in business process improvements for the Project Management function. Share best practices across the PMO. May be called upon to participate in business process improvements for other functions
- Leads multiple projects concurrently
- Uses Lessons Learned to improve our tools and processes
- Leads some Day to Day PMO activities including leading all aspects of meetings such as Project Reviews, assisting other Project Leaders in resolving functional and process issues within their teams
- Is a proxy for the PMO Director as required
- Teaches PMO processes to the organization.
- Execute other duties as assigned
Ideal Candidate Possesses These Attributes:
- Requires leadership, organization, collaboration, change management, communication, people development skills.
- Ability to work effectively within a Matrix organization
- Recognized as a Project Management expert with a working knowledge of most core team functions
- Able to work in a team atmosphere with littlesupervisionand establish excellent working relationships with all functions
- Able to interface with all levels of management and at multiple levels within a customer organization
- Self-starter with strong leadership skills and ability to manage multiple projects
- Excellent planning, organization and prioritization skills
- Strong written, verbal and presentation skills
- Strong interpersonal and meeting facilitation skillsrequired to lead and manage all team members,internal and external clients, vendors, and meetings
- In-depth knowledge of industry best practices for new product development
- Strong analytic and strategic problem solving ability
Internal and External Interfaces:
- Core team functions including Marketing, Brand Marketing, New Product DevelopmentEngineering, Manufacturing, ProductEngineering, Sourcing,Sales, Supply Chain, Finance, AdvancedTechnology, Consumer Insights, Legal
- may include levels up to managers and directors
- Functional Leaders (Directors/VPs); Decision Makers (EVPs)
- Some partners are globally situated
- Will include Suppliers, Retailers, Equipment manufacturers
- Ideally, the candidate will have an undergraduatedegree in Engineering, Finance or other technical discipline. An MBA is a plus.
- 5 -7years' experience as a Project Manager for the definition, design and development of new products, preferably in the consumer products industry, with 7- 10 years of professional work experience.
- Proven and effective project management, people management and coaching skills, and business process redesign experience
- Demonstrated ability to work in teams and cross-functionally
- Proficiency in technology (including but not limited to browsers and the Microsoft Office suite: PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Outlook and Project)
To perform this job successfully, the employee must be capable of performing each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements herein are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required.
- Training or certification in Project Management and/or Six Sigma a plus
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: Fast-paced corporate office environment. Some stress may occur. Regular travel to Tempur Sealy locations is required throughout the project and during ramp up. Occasional global travel may be required.