SSL is a leading provider of commercial satellites and spacecraft systems, with broad expertise to support satellite operators and innovative space related missions. The company designs and manufactures spacecraft for services such as direct-to-home television, video content distribution, broadband internet, mobile communications, and Earth observation. Based in the heart of the Silicon Valley, SSL's advanced product line also includes state-of-the art small satellites, and sophisticated robotics and automation solutions for remote operations. A career with SSL could shape your future in ways that you've never imagined.
Due to the nature of our business, SSL has export control and security sensitivities that require all of our employees to be a United States Citizen, Permanent Resident of the United States, an Asylee, or a Refugee. SSL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Job Description The Engineering Project Manager is responsible for the on-time Satellite/Space hardware delivery with a focus of driving engineering to meet manufacturing needs. This requires collaboration across multiple functional organization interfaces working closely with development engineers and respective managers. It may require building detailed schedules for new developments where none previously exists. Furthermore, it demands proactive risk identification and timely decision making to assure successful mitigation. The Engineering Project Manager leverages systems engineering expertise and problem solving skills in negotiating schedule priorities. The EPM engages closely with development and production engineers from contract start through hardware delivery.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with strong Team leadership skills who is interested in helping the team develop, lead and maintain best schedule & project management practices in uncharted territory. The individual must possess excellent interpersonal skills, communicate well, influence effectively, and be comfortable in a highly fluid/ambiguous environment striving for excellence with high integrity. The ideal candidate has a passion for satellite & space designs, product development, manufacture and test with a strong curiosity to grow from continuous learning.
Success will include:
* Management (and sometimes development) of program schedules and issues resolution to ensure on-time hardware deliverables.
* Providing excellent communication skills on schedule status and issues to ensure appropriate management & cross-functional team's response to project challenges.
* Creation of appropriate governance processes to standardize, streamline, and automate best practices in schedule management, reporting, etc.
* Ability to potentially build a new role in new areas, or successfully expand existing scope.Requirements
- Requires 5+ years of Project Managementexperience in an Engineering/Manufacturing environment.
- BS degree in Engineering discipline preferred
- Strong preference for technical problem solving expertise in a technology related industry.
- Strong skills in facilitation, issue resolution and decision making across functions in a highly complex environment
- Strong Listening ability: able to hear what is said, understand it, communicate, and engage
- Able to Influence others: decision-making, negotiation, persuasion, problem-solving, and trust/credibility building
- Must be comfortable interacting with senior leadership
- Proven success in process improvement