The Company L3 Technologies is a prime contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C 3 ISR) systems market and a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on both military and commercial platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies. Organized into 3 segments – Electronic Systems, Communications Systems and Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) Systems – L3 Technologies employs over 31,000 people worldwide with reported 2017 sales of $9.5 billion. About L3 ISR Segment L3’s ISR Systems Segment brings together a broad collection of some 30+ unique L3 divisions across 10 business areas to offer a diverse portfolio of innovative sensor and intelligence technologies across the maritime, land, airborne, space, cyber and warfighter domains. Comprised of 15,000 employees in 5 countries including in 16 states in 40+ locations, we are a global partner of choice delivering innovative capabilities to gather, share and protect intelligence for a more secure world.
L3 Technologies - Advanced Laser Systems Technology (ALST) is a world leader in the development and production of advanced laser rangefinders, designators, targeting systems and components. Based in Orlando, FL, ALST supports all branches of the United States Military, allied nations, OEM customers, border security and development labs.
The Sr. Engineering Project lead is part of a multi-disciplinary design team developing advanced laser range finders and laser designators and supports the PMO by applying technical skills such as Systems Engineering and Project Management skills to drive the day-to-day activities. This position contributes in the development of cutting-edge laser based electro optical systems for use in military airborne, maritime and ground vehicle applications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with the Program Manager (PM) and larger Integrated Product Team (IPT) to ensure the success of the program and that technical, schedule and cost targets are properly defined and met
- In drawing his/her support from the engineering function, the EPL must constantly engage the other cross-functional leaders, defending the Program's needs and priorities while working with the leadership to understand and accommodate the demands of competing Division needs
- Interface and work closely with the PMO and customer(s) on technical and contractual requirements, and anticipate and fulfill customer needs to ensure 100% customer satisfaction and continued business expansion; negotiate as required and obtain positive resolution
- Work in conjunction with PMO and Proposal Lead, to decompose business case and customer contract requirements into Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) elements, develop the detailed Basis of Estimates (BOEs), construct viable Integrated Master Plan and Schedule (IMP/IMS), determine technical deliverables and associated program risks and opportunities
- Responsible for leading the technical team through requirements definition, verification and distribution, technical baseline development, resource identification and allocation, design trade studies, preliminary design, detailed design, system testing, qualification testing, supporting the handoff to Production (production configuration) and ensuring the technical deliverables to support a successful Entry-Into-Service
- Lead the technical development of the program. Serve as the focal point for all engineering development, product definition, resource allocation, task assignment and completion, problem solving and decision making necessary to accomplish IPT charter.
- Direct the engineering team assigned to the program, manage their performance and, through a matrix structure, oversee their participation within the program
- Resource management for all engineering activities in support of program objectives
- Effectively communicate with the PM and serve as a leader on IPT through a collaborative, trust-based relationship, ensuring all have the latest information available
- Work with Division Leadership Team /Staff and functional groups to support the various meetings and reviews necessary to meet business objectives and commitments
- Work with other engineers, technicians, manufacturing and quality engineers in a team environment.
- Interfaces with customers and suppliers in technical areas relating to projects and legacy products.
- Travel to customer and supplier sites, and other L3 locations as needed.
- Attends and participates in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
- Responsible for ensuring that specified quality standards are met for all tasks completed.
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values.
- Performs job duties in a manner that maintains compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations, policies and procedures
- All other assignments as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Electro-Optical or System Engineering a plus) from an accredited university; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Advanced degreepreferred.
- 10+ years' experience in engineering, technical project management, production and/or quality, complex technical product development, optics, lasers related electronics and components
- Requisite years (varies by program size) in a similar technical leadership capacity, outstanding communication, negotiation, organizational and leadership skills
- In depth knowledge of manpower planning, milestone scheduling, development processes, requirements capture tools, traceability and processes, complex hardware/software integration, validation/verification, new product introduction, design for manufacturability
- Capable of managing and working in an environment that is fast-paced, demanding, with a focus on problem resolution and Six Sigma-based process improvement
- Experience in Military product development and transition into production
- Willingness to travel as position requires
- PMP Certification a plus
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Leadership – leads by example and fosters ethical behavior within the team. Is comfortable in a matrixed environment, and can successfully develop and communicate a vision to the technical community working a project, and subsequently organize the effort.
- Communication – drives a culture of transparency and integrity. Possesses strong communication skills (written, oral and listening) necessary to convey, influence and persuade individuals, functions and organizations. Must be comfortable with both technical and project communications, and must be able to summarize key points for executive leadership as well as dive into details with individual contributors.
- Influence/Persuasive – must be a leader of change who seeks opportunity, and is able to work effectively in a variety of situations and circumstances. Leadership objectives must be delivered without clear authority for direct reports in L3 or subcontractor organizations. Must have the ability to influence and persuade leaders and individual contributors to take action in accordance with plans.
- Technical Acumen - successful EPLs must have a breadth and depth of experience across engineering functions within the context of development programs. Development EPLs should demonstrate/possess system level experience encompassing HW, SW, SYS and Test is essential. Operations and In-Service Support EPLs should demonstrate/possess experience in manufacturing, production planning, procurement, supplier transition and post-delivery or in-service support operations.
- Project Management Acumen – Demonstrated experience in project management fundamentals is required in a technical environment. Keen understanding of how to decompose top level program requirements into engineering projects throughout the WBS is essential.
- Strategic Thinking – encourages diversity of thought and perspective; plans and anticipates the future implications of today’s actions on stated objectives (schedule, cost and scope)
- Integrative Thinking – the ability to balance multiple and often competing objectives and priorities into a comprehensive set of strategies and tactics
- Strong Bias for Action – is a self-started who proactively engages to address assigned tasks and tackles issues, risks and opportunities in a timely manner
- Relationship Development and Management – ability to form strategic relationships across businesses and functions to ensure results are achieved while building and preserving long term good will and productivity
- Must be a United States Citizen or US Person as defined by ITAR - 8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(20), 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
- Ability to obtain and maintain a valid U.S. Passport.
- Able to travel nationally / internationally on an as needed basis.
- Able to work weekends and evenings as required to meet company objectives.
NOTE: These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work involved for this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this job. Individuals assigned to perform tasks defined in this job description that are controlled by the ISO program have the authority, consent and responsibility to carry out those tasks as defined in the program We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer - minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities / sexual orientation / gender identity. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.