L3 Technologies - Advanced Laser Systems Technology (ALST) is a world leader in the development and production of advanced laser rangefinders, designators, targeting systems and components. Based in Orlando, FL, ALST supports all branches of the United States Military, allied nations, OEM customers, border security and development labs.
The Sr. Engineering Project lead is part of a multi-disciplinary design team developing advanced laser range finders and laser designators and supports the PMO by applying technical skills such as Systems Engineering and Project Management skills to drive the day-to-day activities. This position contributes in the development of cutting-edge laser based electro optical systems for use in military airborne, maritime and ground vehicle applications.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with the Program Manager (PM) and larger Integrated Product Team (IPT) to ensure the success of the program and that technical, schedule and cost targets are properly defined and met
- In drawing his/her support from the engineering function, the EPL must constantly engage the other cross-functional leaders, defending the Program's needs and priorities while working with the leadership to understand and accommodate the demands of competing Division needs
- Interface and work closely with the PMO and customer(s) on technical and contractual requirements, and anticipate and fulfill customer needs to ensure 100% customer satisfaction and continued business expansion; negotiate as required and obtain positive resolution
- Work in conjunction with PMO and Proposal Lead, to decompose business case and customer contract requirements into Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) elements, develop the detailed Basis of Estimates (BOEs), construct viable Integrated Master Plan and Schedule (IMP/IMS), determine technical deliverables and associated program risks and opportunities
- Responsible for leading the technical team through requirements definition, verification and distribution, technical baseline development, resource identification and allocation, design trade studies, preliminary design, detailed design, system testing, qualification testing, supporting the handoff to Production (production configuration) and ensuring the technical deliverables to support a successful Entry-Into-Service
- Lead the technical development of the program. Serve as the focal point for all engineering development, product definition, resource allocation, task assignment and completion, problem solving and decision making necessary to accomplish IPT charter.
- Direct the engineering team assigned to the program, manage their performance and, through a matrix structure, oversee their participation within the program
- Resource management for all engineering activities in support of program objectives
- Effectively communicate with the PM and serve as a leader on IPT through a collaborative, trust-based relationship, ensuring all have the latest information available
- Work with Division Leadership Team /Staff and functional groups to support the various meetings and reviews necessary to meet business objectives and commitments
- Work with other engineers, technicians, manufacturing and quality engineers in a team environment.
- Interfaces with customers and suppliers in technical areas relating to projects and legacy products.
- Travel to customer and supplier sites, and other L3 locations as needed.
- Attends and participates in a variety of meetings and task force groups to integrate activities, communicate issues, obtain approvals, resolve problems and maintain specific level of knowledge pertaining to new developments, requirements and policies.
- Responsible for ensuring that specified quality standards are met for all tasks completed.
- Demonstrates ethical and professional behavior in accordance with company values.
- Performs job duties in a manner that maintains compliance with environmental, health and safety regulations, policies and procedures
- All other assignments as required
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering (Electro-Optical or System Engineering a plus) from an accredited university; or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Advanced degreepreferred.
- 10+ years' experience in engineering, technical project management, production and/or quality, complex technical product development, optics, lasers related electronics and components
- Requisite years (varies by program size) in a similar technical leadership capacity, outstanding communication, negotiation, organizational and leadership skills
- In depth knowledge of manpower planning, milestone scheduling, development processes, requirements capture tools, traceability and processes, complex hardware/software integration, validation/verification, new product introduction, design for manufacturability
- Capable of managing and working in an environment that is fast-paced, demanding, with a focus on problem resolution and Six Sigma-based process improvement
- Experience in Military product development and transition into production
- Willingness to travel as position requires
- PMP Certification a plus