Sr Engineering Manager – RF Design
Do you want to lead an innovative team that designs and supports hardware for software defined radios used in aviation and defense? How about a position where you can tackle engineering challenges every day and gain broad exposure to the complete product life-cycle? Are you looking for an opportunity to build a strong personal network while working closely with external suppliers, production lines, and service centers to implement your team’s solutions?
This position is responsible for managing Radio Frequency (RF) development and test, project execution, and sustainment engineering for all Comm/Datalinks programs for Rockwell Collins Government Systems (RCGS).
Responsibilities include planning, organizing, resource allocation, personnel development, performance reviews, salary planning, and overall group management of the RF design group. The position requires project execution direction to the engineering team. The candidate must demonstrate sound decision making skills, communication skills, networking skills, and accurately forecast project work and costs. Additional requirements include an understanding of systems, hardware development, and the associated processes, as well as project management skills including SPI and CPI analysis (earned value). Primary role is to lead a design engineering team in new product developments.
The candidate must be familiar with Software Defined Radios (SDRs), networking waveforms and communications network architectures. A strong candidate will have eight to ten years of hardware engineering experience combined with relevant hardware or development and/or management experience building SDRs. Candidate will work directly with and/or manage daily activities of transceiver and/or power amplifier RF design engineers, project engineering, program management, and supporting organizations to develop advanced design to support SDR architectures.
The candidate will lead the team using strong interaction, interpersonal, problem solving, mentoring and negotiating skills, and will be responsible for managing project risks/issues, elevating to upper management when appropriate. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for adhering to, and supporting Rockwell Collins process methodologies while developing and managing commitments to meeting project cost, schedule and quality requirements.
A successful candidate will have working knowledge of and leadership skills in hardware development engineering fundamentals, with awareness of working with software, firmware, and systems engineering teams. The candidate will demonstrate proven ability to guide and lead development processes, will develop the team composition, and will be responsible for training. The candidate will also have the ability to work with local and remote teams to develop proven design approaches, detailed requirements, and project artifacts. Extensive experience in all development phases from concept, proposal, Preliminary Design (PDR), Critical design (CDR), verification and validation testing, factory transition/support, and product deliveries are required.
Candidate will lead RF design engineers and will coordinate requirements identification, development and acceptance testing of deliveries. The candidate will demonstrate the ability to matrix multiple programs and development tasks, while supporting the various projects’ objectives of cost and schedule.
The following are considered benefits: familiarity with HF, VU, TTNT, Link-16 or other networking waveforms, configuration management tools such as Subversion, SEER-H estimation modeling tools, simulation/schematic/circuit card development tools, experience with bid narrative write-ups and Earned Value reporting. Knowledge of wireless technologies, radio and RF systems development including software defined radios, cognitive radios, spread spectrum techniques, and network design is considered a plus.
Relocation to Cedar Rapids is required. A comprehensive relocation package is available for qualified candidates.
* Must possess or be eligible for obtaining a U.S. DoD Secret Clearance. U.S. Citizenship is required. Candidate selected will be subject to a government security investigation/re-instatement and must meet eligibility requirements.
* Bachelor’s degree in a Science, Technology, Engineering or Math (STEM) discipline is required. Masters of Engineering and/or MBA is preferred.
* Understanding of wireless technologies and RF systems (required)
* Practical experience in project management (required)
* Experience leading a project to successful completion (required)
* Demonstrated experience working with customers and engineers (required)
* Managing and preparing proposal documentation (preferred)
* Earned value experience (preferred)
* Practical experience in all aspects\phases of Transceiver development & design (preferred)
* Practical experience in all aspects\phases of Power Amplifier development & design (preferred)
At Rockwell Collins, we believe a solid work-life balance creates a healthy lifestyle and inspires creativity and innovation. We value our people and invest in their development, growth and success at our company by providing development opportunities through Rockwell Collins University, networking, mentoring, and tuition reimbursement.
And that’s just for starters.
Some of our competitive benefits package includes:
* Medical, dental, and vision insurance
* Three weeks of vacation for newly hired employees
* Company-paid winter holiday shutdown for most locations
* Generous 401(k) plan that matches 62.5 percent of the first 8 percent of eligible compensation you contribute (or 5 percent if you save 8 percent)
* An Incentive Pay Plan based upon company performance
* Tuition reimbursement
* And more