The position purpose is to provide leadership and creativity in the design, development, optimization and implementation of major manufacturing and supportprocesses.
- Provide manufacturing engineering leadership
- Use of process control, data mining, metrics, scorecards, and statistical tools to facilitate process improvements
- Implement capital projects and programs related to regulatory, quality, energy, and statistical process control
- Identify and resolve process and equipment problems
- Initiate creative and practical design solutions which meet/exceed expectations
- Provide support for development of LEAN manufacturing principles
- Ensure work is documented and is retrievable
- Facilitate work in accordance of the One K-C Behaviors
The incumbent reports to the Engineering and Reliability Sr. Manager. The incumbent receives direction in the form of broadly defined objectives. Responsibilities include meeting team objectives in safety, sustainability, quality, asset management, cost, and team development. Incumbent is recognized for technical knowledge in engineering, and works within the technical team structure supporting trial work, capital, and daily operations to the purpose of expanding our innovation capability, while providing flexibility and personal/organizational sensitivity. The incumbent provides work direction to junior and senior technical employees, leads broader teams, other functional team members, co-ops, technicians, service providers, etc.
This position requires knowledge and ability typically associated with a Bachelor’s degree. The incumbent also must have broad knowledge and significant experience in the technical and operations areas and a working knowledge of multi-functional issues. Typically, the incumbent must have at least ten years of relevant engineering experience in a variety of mill and staff assignments. Demonstrated ability to excel in a team environment is essential.
Vary widely with assignment and typically include:
- Project responsibility up to $50 MM
- Project team of 5 to 20 people
- Multiple projects
- Daily management of regulatory and quality systems
- Safety/Environmental: Carry out job responsibilities in a safe manner. Ensure equipment and processes meet safety codes, policies, and guidelines. Provide for the safety and well-being of operators, maintenance, and other personnel. Champion sustainability initiatives. Comply with all local, state, and federal regulations.
- Diversity: Provide leadership in a way that helps the organization attract, develop, and retain the best people and fosters an environment which motivates a diverse team to fully use its capabilities in achieving desired business results.
- Design and Development: Provide functional leadership and creativity in the initiation, design, development and optimization of manufacturing and supporting processes to achieve mill objectives. Mentors others in the application of project tools (Gantt Charts, PM Practices, Capital Systems, SAP, Cost Tracking, etc.)
- Technical Knowledge: Develop knowledge and skills to be recognized for expertise and leadership in application of engineering principles and/or scientific analysis. Provide advice and counsel sought by others. Be recognized as a technical expert in many areas.
- Security and Documentation: Provide leadership in security and documentation to ensure the retrieval of data and protection of proprietary information.
- Problem Solving: Seek, recognize, define and solve problems/opportunities to achieve mill objectives.
- Internal Control: Lead assigned projects/tasks to meet unit objectives within applicable corporate policies. Place emphasis on CFI and Internal Control.
- Communications: Communicate fully with superiors, subordinates and others who have need to know. Be informative without being obtrusive or vexatious. Communicate in a way that is timely, yet prompt; complete, yet concise; candid, yet accurate; and clear yet responsive.
- Human Resources Development: Assist in the development of others in the area of incumbent’s expertise, while demonstrating an understanding of those with a diverse background or experience.
- Quality: Provide direction and participative leadership in the practical application of the Quality Management System in all assignments and responsibilities. Analyze and improve process capability to deliver a reduction in defects and variability. Identify, develop and provide leadership to implement product, process, material, system and procedures to achieve business objective.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
The skills below are considered to be key for each Sr. Engineer discipline:
R&E systems Process knowledge
Process control systems
Project management, leadership, control
Problem identification, problem solving methodology Systems - machine, electrical, process
Assimilate and understand technical information Statistical thinking
Use of statistical tools Design of experiments Process capability Process optimization
Product attributes/ quality and testing
Trial planning and implementation
Business unit communications/ partnering Corporation policies and procedures Quality
Centerlining technical knowledge
Role of other K-C functions/interactions Commercial equipment availability
Current industry trade knowledge Engineering economics
Conceptual design capabilities including safety