We have been recently retained by a global manufacturing company that build and design Extremely Large Telescope to locate the best candidate for this open role in the Pasadena, CA area.
Is this you??? – Senior Engineer - Primary Mirror Control System
Salary $60-175k DOE + Relocation + Benefits – Pasadena, CA area
- A Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline and a minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Design, build, integration, and test experience.
- Direct experience working on the design and integration of large, distributed, control systems.
- Familiarity, and expertise in one or more, of the following, analog and digital electronics, embedded and high level control software, control systems, and mechanical systems.
- Familiarity with classical and modern control analysis and implementations.
- Experience with precision motion control systems.
- Proficiency with Matlab or similar modeling tools.
- Experience with formal system engineering design processes.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Some travel will be required to partner locations, vendor, and observatory locations.
Senior Engineer - Primary Mirror Control System Summary
The Senior Engineer (SE) will be a key member of the project team and a critical contributor to the design of the Primary Mirror Control System (M1CS). The SE will work, in and integrated manner, with our industrial and our partners, as well as other Project Office teams in the development of this critical subsystem. The SE will have an opportunity to be involved in all aspects of the M1CS i.e. mechanical and electronic hardware, embedded firmware, control and communication software, sophisticated control algorithms, optical coating and machining processes. The successful candidate will be a mid-career engineer with broad based design and hands on experience and an interest in growing into a Technical Project Manager.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Concept, design, prototyping, test and integration of M1CS components and systems.
- Requirement, interface definition, design, process, and test documentation.
- Providing support for the M1CS Technical Project Manager.
Desired (but not necessary) Qualifications:
- Technical Project Management experience (schedules, budgets, risk management, contracts).
- Experience of large, technical, multi-disciplinary, geographically distributed projects; astronomical or similar.
- Experience with small to mid-volume manufacturing and quality control processes for mechanical parts and/or electronic hardware.
- Experience in Multi Input Multi Output Control Systems.
- An advanced degree in an engineering discipline.
Permanent U.S. work authorization required; current and/or future sponsorship is not available.