The SCS NA AME Senior Engineering position is part of a greater Advanced Manufacturing Engineering team located at Fenton and Fowlerville plants, reporting to the AME Engineering Manager for Fenton/Fowlerville. As an AME engineer, this position has primary responsibility for quoting new business, process development, capital procurement, capacity analysis, as well as assisting plant manufacturing team on an as needed basis. In this role, the AME Engineer shall have primary responsibility for identification and implementation of cutting edge manufacturing technologies that drive continuous improvement in Quality, Cost, and deliver Capital Equipment Expenditure plans within budget and on time. This position plays a key role in order to ensure profitable and timely production of parts, meeting the designated standards for customer expectation, and achieving customer Takt time within budget.
This particular position may also have responsibility to create, drive and support a PLC and HMI programming standard framework for new assembly equipment.
% of Travel Required: 20%
Job Type: Full Time
Career Level: Senior Engineer
Education: Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or similar with applicable experience
Primary Function: Relative to the assigned project(s), responsible for the technical direction, completion, and supervision of tasks necessary for the achievement of manufacturing engineering requirements and solutions related to the design, development and installation of production equipment, processes, and documentation in order to achieve a flawless launch.
- Estimate a variety of product/volume solutions and scenarios, first with internal quoted and then externally quoting with equipment suppliers at the appropriate time.
- Leadership and communication skills – ability to effectively communicate internally and externally (suppliers/customers) across a wide span of audiences.
- Oversee the management of all Capital Equipment projects, including Capital Equipment builders and equipment riggers, to ensure adherence to project schedules and budgets.
- Initiate process improvements, develop the conceptual and detailed design, and lead the improvement project through to successful implementation.
- Approve equipment vendor selection and submittal drawings.
- Develop startup plans and provide startup support.
- Develop processes with yield, throughput, scrap reduction, error proofing, and ergonomic enhancements as part of the process
- Implement and manage the standardization of equipment and processes for a global product line.
- Through the use lean methodology and statistical analysis, ensure the long term capability of new manufacturing equipment and processes.
- Provide support and direction to Manufacturing Engineers and other technical staff at the manufacturing sites.
Qualifications And Skills:
- Experience as a Lead Process Engineer - 1 to 3 years
- 5+ years of relevant engineering work experience and a track record of success in increasingly complex and demanding roles or assignments, demonstrating hands-on, can do approach.
- PLC (AB) and HMI (AB) controls experience a plus
- Good working knowledge of braking products ideal.
- Team Oriented.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to prioritize and self manage most day to day events within a project.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Proficient in MS Office produce suite.
- Proficient in AutoCAD (2D or 3D) products.
- Working knowledge of basic automation technology (conveyors, presses, gauges, air testing, helium testing, GD&T, valves, cylinders, servo's, etc) is ideal.
- Programming/Controls experience is a positive (RS Logix, Factory Talk, etc)
- Strong organizational, verbal and written communication skills. Excellent presentation skills –with ability to make necessary status reports and technical presentations to management and customers
- Participate in strategic planning efforts related to capital expenditures
- Excellent interpersonal, conflict resolution and team building skills and the ability to influence on both technical and personal levels.
- Strong command of problem solving and continuous improvement methodology, including statistical analysis (e.g. Lean, 6-sigma, TOC, etc.)
- Experience in the development of equipment specifications and vendor selection
- Experience in coordinating installation of new equipment at the manufacturing sites
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Disability/Veteran
Experience and Skill Requirements
5 + years