- Executing aluminum product development and/or process improvement projects to deliver growth opportunities for Arconic.
- Leading lab-scale studies and plant-scale trials to successful completion by collaborating effectively with various teams across ATC and in Business units.
- Develop metallurgical expertise in heat-treatable 2xxx, 6xxx & 7xxx alloys for the aerospace market.
Major Activities / Key Challenges:
- Identifying and developing creative solutions to alloy and processing challenges
- Establishing project plans in consultation with supervisor or program manager and being accountable for completion of individual projects
- Reviewing and analyzing internal and external work to establish existing knowledge relevant to current research
- Designing and conducting experiments aimed at developing new technical options for processing and mechanical property improvements in aluminum products
- Participating in plant trials that are focused on developing new technical options for alloy processing, microstructure and property improvements in aluminum alloys
- Relating composition, processes and microstructures to physical and mechanical properties.
- Supporting the development of Intellectual Property protection for new alloy products and emerging technologies
- Interacting and collaborating with external customers.
- Ensuring completion and documentation of projects through formal reports, invention records and patent applications.
Essential Knowledge & Skills /Education:
- PhD in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science.
- Experience in metallurgy and materials science of metallic alloys through fundamental and/or applied research
- Strong communication and collaboration skills
- Technical writing and presentation skills as evidenced by published articles and conference presentations.
- PhD in Metallurgical Engineering or Materials Science or Materials Engineering from an accredited institution
- Employees must be legally authorized to work in the United States. Verification of employment eligibility will be required at the time of hire. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
- Microstructure/process/property relationships of metallic materials experience
- Mechanical property characterization of metallic materials, including fracture mechanics experience
- Knowledge of aerospace structures
- Aluminum alloy experience