We are looking for a talented and experienced engineer to join the Electronics Systems group as part of the Research and Technology Development organization at Illumina. The position involves conducting scientific research towards development of the next-generation sequencing platforms as well as working with external vendors. We are seeking candidates with significant knowledge and experience in rapid prototyping of platforms for biological assays, semiconductorfabrication/packaging, hardware design, systems integration and optical/electrical biosensors.
- Design modules integrating electrical, mechanical and fluidic/microfluidic components
- Drive design and fabrication of prototype devices and instruments for biological assays through working in a cleanroom environment, chemistry lab and/or working with leading semiconductor manufacturing/ packaging companies
- Manage external vendor relationships and work closely with the internal teams for realization of product concepts
- Driving day-to-day nucleic acid biochemistry and biophysics experiments to develop and validate new concepts and devices for bio-molecule detection, extraction, quantification and sensing
- PhD or MSc in ElectricalEngineering, Mechanical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering or a closely related discipline
- Significant industry or academic experience (Minimum 4+ years) in developing instruments including driving design, prototyping, implementation, integration and validation of product concepts
- Vendor management experience preferably in frontend/backend Si fabrication, electronic packaging, mechanical design and fluidic integration
- Hands-on experienceworking with optical or electrical sensors and their system-level design and integration
- Strong theoretical knowledge of and experienceworking with optical systems, electronic circuits and microfluidic systems
- Solid theoretical understanding of semiconductor/MEMS industry, semiconductor fabrication and characterization tools and semiconductor packaging
- Technical Team leadership and functional management experience highly desirable
- Familiarity with nucleic acid biochemistry, sample extraction and library preparation highly advantageous
- Hands-on experience running biological assays a plus
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.