The Manufacturing Technical Operations (MTO) team in San Diego is a part of Global Quality & Operations at Illumina and has responsibility for processes and equipment in Reagent manufacturing operations. The Senior Automation Systems Engineer will be part of the MTO organization and support Reagent manufacturing. The candidate will provide Operations engineering support for installing, troubleshooting and sustaining complex automated equipment in manufacturing. The Automation Systems Engineer should have experience operating and testing large automated systems and supporting their software applications. This person will join a dynamic, fast-paced organization supporting new product development, as well as sustaining operations.
- Participate in the specification development, commissioning (FAT, SAT), and validation (IQ/OQ/PQ) activities of new equipment/automated systems
- Support software applications for large automated systems including: PLC, HMI devices, Pneumatics, Servo Motors, Vision Systems and Robotics
- Develop and troubleshoot PLC & HMI code as required
- Troubleshoot equipment issues with a sense of urgency to prevent line down situations
- Establish and maintain the reliable and qualified operation of the reagent fill lines for both existing and new assets
- Perform Engineering Studies and re-qualifications of automated fill lines and other equipment
- Optimize existing automated lines to improve performance, robustness and quality
- Identify and lead projects to resolve and improve equipment reliability and efficiency
- Provide training and coaching to engineers and technicians on new and existing equipment and procedures.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including Manufacturing, Process Engineering, Quality and Product Development Teams
- Experience and understanding of complex automated manufacturing systems, tools and components (electrical and pneumatic control, sensors, metrology systems, PLCs) required
- Experience with equipment qualifications/validation (URS, FAT, SAT, IQ, OQ & PQ) required
- Experience in troubleshooting PLCs (Beckhoff, Allen Bradley) required
- PLC/HMI programming and configuration experience is required
- Experience creating shop floor operator facing applications utilizing C#, Java, Groovy scripting required
- Expertise with liquid handling, tube filling, labeling and capping automation
- Knowledge in power electronics, variable-frequency drive (VFD), and electrical machinery
- Ability to troubleshoot and supervise all aspects of electrical control systems and equipment used in our automated manufacturing systems
- Deep knowledge in the use of industrial automation devices (i.e. sensors, switches, load cells, cylinders, valves, motors, encoders, etc.)
- Experience with cGMP and 21 CFR part 11 and supporting manufacturing in an FDA regulated environment highly preferred.
- High level problem solving, and critical thinking skills required.
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written, analytical and organizational skills to manage different priorities
- Self-directed mindset with high energy and works with minimal supervision or guidance
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of the principles of Industry 4.0
- Occasional travel may be required
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering with experience in control systems and software
- 5+ years of system engineering experience, supporting automated manufacturing equipment preferably within biotech or medical device industries
- Working within a pilot plant manufacturing environment desirable