Sr. Engineer, Acoustic Transducers
11 - 15 years experience • Life Sciences & Research
Join the leader in entertainment innovation and help us design the future. At Dolby, science meets art, and high tech means more than computer code. As a member of the Dolby team, you’ll see and hear the results of your work everywhere, from movie theaters to smartphones. We continue to revolutionize how people create, deliver, and enjoy entertainment worldwide. To do that, we need the absolute best talent. We’re big enough to give you all the resources you need, and small enough so you can make a real difference and earn recognition for your work. We offer a collegial culture, challenging projects, and excellent compensation and benefits.
This newly created role of Senior Engineer, Acoustic Transducers to support Dolby’s Cinema and Professional Loudspeaker solutions will be a member of an engineering team that develops products for the Dolby Cinema business unit. Working closely with the cross-functional business teams, along with the core Dolby cinema engineering team, the successful candidate will utilize the tools and processes of our world class engineering group to bring advanced, disruptive products to market.
The individual is expected to have knowledge of the cinema and/or professional audio markets, and a background in large format transducer design. He/she must be a team player and thrive in an environment of diverse multi-functional teams, across different time zones around the world.
The successful candidate will regularly engage with people across multiple disciplines including R&D, engineering, manufacturing, support, operations and program management to deliver innovative products to the market and drive increased market share.
Scope and responsibilities
- Research and design large format audio transducers using state of the art technologies, techniques, and materials.
- Develop high-output, high frequency acoustic transducers using materials and magnetics such as titanium, Kapton film, aluminum, neodymium, etc. This would include planar magnetic and compression driver design expertise.
- Collaborate with third-party transducer companies to design and develop low and high frequency drivers for custom applications.
- Develop waveguides and horns for use in professional loudspeaker systems.
- Research new transducer technologies to support various Dolby initiatives. This would include emerging technologies such as graphene, nanotubes, MEMs, and multi-coil.
- Perform lifecycle and industry benchmark tests to characterize transducers for professional and cinema audio applications using modern laboratory measurement tools and devices.
- Create well written test reports outlining laboratory findings and characterizations
- Work with loudspeaker system developers to setup transducer/speaker tests and derive appropriate methodologies for test.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members to assist in product definition and feasibility PLM phases.
Skills, abilities & experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or similar field of study with 10+ years of hands-on experience in transducer design and development.
- Proven history of designing and delivering cost effective, high performance acoustic transducers for use in large format loudspeaker systems.
- Extensive supply chain experience in audio transducers and associated materials.
- Experience with transducer and horn modeling/simulation tools and techniques.
- Proficient with engineering development tools and laboratory test & measurement equipment used for acoustic transducer design and development – ex. Klippel.
- Familiar with anechoic chamber measurement environments.
- Self-motivated with the ability to perform design & development tasks with minimal oversight.
- Great team player with strong verbal and written communication skills, and technical language proficiency.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with diverse teams, both functionally and geographically.
- Organizational savvy to get things done in a dynamic deadline driven environment.
- Proven ability of working hands-on and multitasking.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, with one or more trips per year.
- Willing to relocate to the Springfield, Missouri area.