Sr. Electronics Packaging Engineer
5 - 7 years experience • Aerospace / Defense
Position : Sr. Electronics Packaging Engineer
Location : Montville, NJ 07045
Salary : 95-155K
Relocation : yes
Client is looking for an experienced Electronics Packaging Engineer to join the world-class team of engineers in our Control Actuation Systems Engineering Group. The team is responsible for designing and developing electromechanical actuation products for military weapon systems, which includes missiles, guided rockets, and smart munitions. Specifically, the packaging engineering will be responsible for all aspects of the packaging design for high reliability, ruggedized electronic products while actively considering and balancing cost, technical, and schedule. This is a unique opportunity to join one of the most experienced and talented teams in industry.
The Sr. Electronics Packaging Engineer is responsible for all aspects of the physical design and construction of the electronic portion of the system, which includes both internal and external connectors, cabling, and harnessing. This entails designing products to meet customers’ needs, including all design, functional, material, weight, environmental, and test requirements from the customer's specification, as well as meeting the internal cost targets established during the proposal stage. Typical engineering analyses required to support the design include weight, tolerance stack-up, stress, fatigue, shock, thermal, modal, and vibration / thermal cycling component cumulative damage. The Sr. Packaging Engineer has authority over all drawings, analyses, technical issues, hardware testing, test failures, field fixes, assembly procedures, test procedures, and process specifications as appropriate.
Regular interaction with engineers, technicians, and other disciplines (manufacturing, quality, etc) as well as frequent contact with suppliers, test facilities, contractors, and customers is required. Occasional light travel will be involved.
· Packaging (mechanical) engineer with electronics packaging expertise (5years of experience minimum).
· Successful, demonstrated experience designing military/aerospace electronics that meet both technical and cost requirements.
· Design experience with a variety of electronics packaging approaches for defense and aerospace applications including:
o designing for captive carry vibration environments
o designing for high shock environments
o designing for high temperature environments
o innovative techniques for cooling electronics in a high-temperature environment (e.g. phase-change, active cooling, other approaches)
o designing for radiated EMI/EMC
o Experienced user of Pro-E for solid modeling.
o Familiar/experienced with performing structural, modal, and thermal analysis using analysis tools: ANSYS highly desired, Pro-E Mechanica and/or.Abaqus is a plus.
o Ability to quickly assess the technical feasibility of a design or solution based on experience and basic calculations.
o Familiar/experienced with vibration, shock, and thermal cycling fatigue calculations on electrical components.
o Familiar/experienced with the design, construction, and specification of PWBs.
o Familiar/experienced with the use of epoxies and other staking materials for electronics design.
o Knowledge/understanding of IPC and military specifications for PWBs, CCAs, and soldering.
o Knowledge/understanding of PWA manufacturing processes and assembly processes for electronics.
o Knowledge/understanding of manufacturing methods, machining operations, brazing and soldering.
o Knowledge/understanding of high voltage / altitude design practices at the board and box level.
· Familiar/experienced with the design, development, qualification, and production of military / aerospace products.
· Familiar/experienced with military / aerospace / industrial specification and standards; intimately familiar with those related to packaging engineering (materials, connectors, surface treatments, fasteners, wire/cable, circuit cards, etc)
· Working knowledge with MS Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.) and Windows.
· Self-starter with initiative and drive to get tasks done accurately in a timely manner.
· Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
· Excellent communication skills (written and oral); experienced presenter comfortable giving presentations to customers.
· Individual that takes ownership for work product and enjoys hands-on engagement of hardware from product design through production.
· Ability to work as part of a team in a collaborative manner.
· B.S. in Mechanical Engineering (otherdegrees will be considered with extensive packaging engineeringexperience).
· Advanced technical degree desirable.
We offer a highly competitive salary commensurate with abilities and experience including a quarterly bonus program. Compensation also includes a full range of benefits and employee services comprised of medical, prescription, dental, vision, life, and disability income insurance, 401k retirement plans with company match, paid vacation, sick, and personal days, 11 holidays, summer hours, on-site credit union and ATM, plus much more.