Industrial Solutions empowers smarter business operations by connecting equipment, software, and services to protect, control, and optimize assets within electrical infrastructures. Across multiple energy-intensive industries, the business provides customers with end-to-end product and service solutions that help ensure the reliability and protection of their electrical infrastructure.
As a Electronics Engineer – Electrical Protection and Monitoring you will be responsible to apply electronic solutions to electrical protection and monitoring problems. Develop circuit, sensors, and applications of high level controls. Investigate and define applications. Evaluate approaches including sourcing, partnering, and development. Provide electronics and integration support throughout the product lifecycle. Investigate product performance, recommend, and implement design improvements. Execute product development activities including electrical and electronic design, analysis, root cause, qualification, and certification. Participate as a team member and apply knowledge and competencies to continuous improvement of research and development (R&D) activities.
- Technical and scientific proficiency and leadership: Demonstrates solid technical proficiency in own competence area by performing a variety of technology/engineering assignments, mainly in research and development (R&D) projects, which demonstrates independent ability to recognize problems and provide input to solutions. Actively follows the scientific discussions in own competence area and contributes independently. Lead product requirements definition. Investigate current and future technologies for application to products across the business unit.
- Technology direction: Understands the key business drivers for ABB in order to make judgments and contribute to results. Collaborates with product management in developing the product roadmap and works with R&D leaders to develop the technology roadmap.
- Innovation and creativity: Contribute to R&D projects with own, creative ideas. Proposes follow-up projects and activities within own technical area based on new ideas. Analyzes opportunities for short term product enhancement, medium term product development, and longer-term technology developments.
- Projects, processes and tools: As a solid R&D project member and contributor, with experience as project or sub-project leader, ensures alignment with assigned targets (time, cost, quality) and coordinates activities. Demonstrates sound understanding of, and actively applies, R&D processes and tools. Provides ownership for compliance with applicable standards. Stays current with trends in competitor features and customer applications.
- R&D context: Maintains awareness of state-of-art technology, as well as ABB products and technologies, and identifies and understands technical drivers for R&D projects in own area. Understands what creates customer value in own R&D projects and project portfolio of own organization and works to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction according to incoming requests. Provides consulting services to business operations and customers.
- Knowledge transfer: Participates constructively in working teams. Shares own technical/scientific knowledge in own projects and supports colleagues in applying processes and tools to ensure timely and high-quality results. Shows solid documentation skills and writes technical reports independently.
- Network and visibility: Participate in networks in own area, including relevant Engineering networks, to further knowledge in targeted area of expertise.
- Intellectual property (IP) and risk management: Has a basic understanding of the importance of IP for the ABB business, contributes to IP discussions and develops project clearance reports. Identifies risks in R&D projects.
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in Engineering
- Minimum of 4 years' experience in development of products
- Preferred Bachelor's degree, or higher in Electrical Engineering or Computer and Systems Engineering
- Experience designing, debugging, and implementing embedded electronic controls.
- Experience in manufacturing implementation of new and modified designs
- Experience with product documentation (Windchill experience preferred)
- Experience defining, designing, and integrating cost effective, compliant solutions.
- Track record executing product design projects in teams and individually
- Experience with industrial and commercial communications protocols
- Experience working with electronic manufacturing services providers
- Experience with electrical panelboards and circuit breakers
- Experience with UL standards for circuit breakers and panelboards
- Embedded C and C++ experience
- Experience with Industrial Control Systems
- Experience with Building Automation Systems
- Cyber security working knowledge
- Agile development experience
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in United States.