Molex is seeking a dynamic and proactive Senior Electrical Engineer, Systems, that will be responsible for providing trade specific system design: layout (utilizing CAD/BIM); calculations (utilizing appropriate software); and other related design services including coordination with the designs of other trades (architectural and engineering / internal and external) under the guidance of more senior technical staff. Must take ownership of the completeness, accuracy and timeliness of the work assigned to you.
Individuals in this position must demonstrate the ability to progress from basic design work assignments to more complicated and involved projects working in conjunction with a technical team.
You will be responsible for representing Molex in all interactions with clients, contractors, architects, MEP and other project team members.
Senior Electrical Engineer, Systems completes and file much of the paperwork that is involved in the design process. They create proposals and complete construction paperwork for Molex Digital Building Design proposal.
The Senior System Engineer P.E. works independently on various projects as assigned by a Project Manager or System Engineering Manager. He/she oversees the entire design process and is responsible for the entire project design package. He may work on several concurrent projects. With extensive experience in all areas of electrical, Network and System design, he is a recognized expert in his/her discipline. Responsible for Electrical engineering design, lighting design, CAD drafting using AutoCAD software, drawing production, specification writing/review, discipline coordination between the various trades, shop drawing and submittal reviews, construction site reviews, and code reviews for MEP systems for various private projects. Our focus is on the design of building systems, permitting, and the construction process areas of mechanical, electrical, plumbing, and fire alarm. Review of MEP systems designed by others, interface with code officials and contractors, working with architects and other clients, and working with others within the organization.
- Assesses the requirements of a project, breaks a project into tasks, and works with a Project Manager to determine scope of work, budget and staffing.
- Writes scope of work for electrical design based on preliminary review and meetings with the client.
- Prepares engineering studies and schematic design for new projects and analyzes operation of existing systems.
- Works with code officials and other design professionals when an interpretation or exception to building codes is required. Demonstrates knowledge of applicable building codes.
- Assigns and reviews work of project design team. Checks progress of work and alerts Project Manager to change of scope or additional services.
- Thorough understanding of construction process.
- Coordinates all aspects of project document completion within Molex SE manager and externally with clients and other design professionals.
- Prepares or reviews constructionbudgets based on experience and scope of project.
- Promotes use of and participates in development of company design and production standards.
- Assists in the education and development of design staff and acts as resource for design questions.
- Communicate with staff or clients to understand specific system requirements.
- Verify stability, interoperability, portability, security, or scalability of system architecture.
- Collaborate with engineers or software developers to select appropriate design solutions or ensure the compatibility of system components.
- Evaluate current or emerging technologies to consider factors like cost, portability, compatibility, or usability.
- Provide technical guidance or support for the development or troubleshooting of systems.
- Identify system data, hardware, or software components required to meet user needs.
- Provide guidelines for implementing secure systems to customers or installation teams.
- Direct the analysis, development, and operation of complete computer systems.
- Investigate system component suitability for specified purposes make recommendations regarding component use.
- Develop or approve project plans, schedules, or budgets.
- Establish functional or system standards to make sure operational requirements, quality requirements, and design constraints are addressed.
- Communicate project information through presentations, technical reports or white papers.
- Consult or negotiate with clients to prepare project specifications.
- Manage the coordination overall integration of technical activities in architecture or engineering projects.
- Direct, review, or approve project design changes.
- Prepare documents for budgets, bids, or contracts.
- Assess project feasibility by analyzing technology, resource needs, and market demand.
- Develop or implement policies, standards, or procedures for engineering technical work.
- Plan, direct, or coordinate survey work with other project activities.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Professional Engineer (PE) license required
- 10+ years of professional experience in the MEP field
- BICSI/RCDD Certification
- Thorough understanding of applicable codes
- Demonstrates ability to understand the work of other trades
- Excellent planning, delegation and time management skills.
- Design of electrical systems: HVAC and power load-calculations, Design of lighting, fire alarm and signaling system
- Must understand all appropriate codes and LEED requirements. LEED AP credential a plus.
- IT and Data Center Project experience
- Smart Building
- Smart Lighting
Skills and Abilities:
- Must have strong working knowledge and experience with the following software: AutoCAD and Autodesk Revit, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, and database software.
- Proficient in design and calculation software
- Network and Power Equipment selection
- BICSI/RCDD certification
- Developing system narratives (writing, organizing the document, develop images)
- BIM design (basic familiarity required only)
- Coordinate electrical system design with architects and other consultants
- Writing specifications
- Help teach and train junior engineers
- Interact and work with diverse set of clients and subcontractors
- Manage project workflow and organization
- Direct design decisions for electrical and low voltage system designs
- Oversee construction phase of project (answer RFIs, review submittals, etc)
- Conduct site visits during construction
- Must have demonstrated experience in making decisions, judgment and effective problem solving.
- Lighting, HVAC, Access Point, Security system experience and knowledge
- Ability to design Emergency Lighting schemes to meet local and national codes
- Familiarity with applicable EIA/TIA and/or ISO standards for Ethernet and structured cabling system
- Excellent analysis and problem solving skills
- Excellent Oral and written communication skills
- Networking and POE technology
- Previous experience in BAS
- IoT technologies
- Some travelrequired