ABB is a leader in power and automation technologies that enable utility and industry customers to improve performance while lowering environmental impact. This position will be in support of the Power Grids division, which is a global leader in pioneering technologies that help balance the growing need for electricity while reducing environmental impact as a partner of choice for enabling a stronger, smarter and greener grid. The division serves utility, industry, transportation and infrastructure customers and is focused on addressing key areas such as the integration of renewable energies, growing network complexity, grid automation and microgrids.
Typical duties/responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Apply state-of-the-art design methods, calculations and prudent engineering practices in order to efficiently transfer these designs into a highly effective production environment
• Engage in product and process improvement projects for all products within the business
• Work with global colleagues to define and implement best design practices and common tools as defined by the Global Product Group
• Work directly with local growth, product development and production teams to penetrate new markets with highly optimized customer solutions
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering and 5 years of Engineering experience
• Master’s degree in Engineering and 3 years of Engineering experience
* Candidates must already have a work authorization that would permit them to work for ABB in the US
• 5+ years of dry type transformer design experience is highly preferred.
• Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering from an ABET Engineering Accreditation Commission accredited school.
• Sound people skills that build effective team environments where individuals work collaboratively to achieve a well-defined strategy.
• Possess a customer focused mentality that fosters strong customer relationships and long-term commitments.
• Experience performing complex transform design work.
• Solid organizational and communication skills; the ideal candidate will be detail-oriented so that designs, design algorithms and test data are thoroughly documented and design requirements coordinated with all relevant disciplines.
• Proficiency in fundamental business tools such as Microsoft Suite applications and related business and engineering software applications (CAD/AUTOCAD, Visio, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, etc.).
• The ability to prioritize responsibilities and work independently.
• Must be willing and able to travel within the U.S. and internationally to vendors, customers or other ABB facilities for projects and training (5 - 10%).
• Fluently speak English.
• Engineering experience with VSD, Low Voltage, traction, 12 pulse, 24 pulse and 36 pulse transformers.
• Experience with Design and Process FMEA’s.
• Exposure to industry standards such as ANSI/IEEE C57.12.01, C57.12.51, C57.12.55, C57.12.90, C57.12.91, C57.96, C57.94, NFPA 70/National Electrical Code, UL, cUL, CSA and IEC.
• Working in multinational teams.
• Exposure to Value Engineering and Design for Manufacture practices.
• Experience with mechanical and/or electrical simulations.
Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action at ABB
ABB is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action Employer encouraging diversity in the workplace.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, citizen status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, family medical leave status, or protected veterans status.