The Engineer IV for Machine Products Engineering (MPE) is a senior level engineering position applicable to all disciplines. The Engineer IV is accountable for either current product engineering or design engineering and will oversee customer projects often spanning multiple machine models. This includes mentoring of newer engineers. The Engineer IV is capable of handling projects with extensive engineered to order content as well as customer specification on a self-managed basis and often consults on projects not within their direct ownership. Areas of focus may include new product development, mechanical, controls, manufacturing, technical documentation or software. Note: this position is a career path for Engineering Management.
Current Product Engineering
- Market understanding, Gap identification, and Closure options.
- Technology ownership.
- Machine Design Ownership.
- Execute Machine Orders.
- Configure machine to match Sales Orders.
- Review prior executions and compare contrast to current practice.
- Review customer specifications and ensure compliance.
- Technical performance of the resultant machine.
- Engineering Analysis.
- Compliance with appropriate safety protocols.
- Clean sheet design.
- CAD geometry creation and modification.
- Master Model and configuration management.
- Engineer to Order content.
- Creation of and compliance with design standards.
- Creation and execution of engineering change orders.
Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills & Abilities):
- Define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, define and implement solutions that prevent recurrence of the problem.
- Interpret a wide variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Comprehend and effectively communicate verbally and in writing to specific audiences while using good judgement regarding appropriateness of communications.
- Detail oriented with the ability to communicate directly with Gleason organizations around the world addressing technical issues and guiding resolution of technical issues on Gleason products.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment, interact in a positive manner with customers and co-workers.
- Work with others and to initiate resolution conflict, using good judgement when it is necessary to include leadership in conflict resolution.
- Willingness to train, mentor and advise less senior engineers.
- Effective time management skills with the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and deliver results.
Electrical Engineering Skills
- Electrical Controls Design: develop symbols, utilize a library of symbols, download manufactured items and use them appropriately, use relations within AutoCAD or Eplan to develop stock list.
- Controls Documents Drafting: based on the region of the customer, ensure all applicable Safety Standards and Design Standards (i.e.: UL508A, IEC, NFPA) are incorporated into the design.
- Wiring Schematics and Diagrams: develop schematics and wiring diagrams from master models. Maintain and create master models.
Business System Skill:
- Material Master: determine the source of a blocked material master and address it. Determine the shop status and storage location and quantity of a particular part, understand application of material BOM's.
- BOM Creation, Maintenance: instruct others on the impacts and root cause of part allocation.
- Sales Order BOM: develop Price Book and VC dependencies and logic.
- Machine and Assembly History: use SAP to identify machine history.