All About Us
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina's mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let's talk. We've built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
The Sr. EHS Specialist is responsible for supporting and executing EHS strategy and corporate EHS programs at our San Diego, CA site. This individual will drive EHS improvements at the site and ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations and effective risk management. The vision for Illumina is that every Illumina employee will be a leader in EHS. The Sr. EHS Specialist is an individual contributor and will play a key role in helping Illumina San Diego achieve this vision through high engagement and empowerment with our employees.
All About You
- Partner with functional areas to implement methods, programs, controls and safeguards which promote a safe work environment.
- Lead, support and manage implementation of EHS programs (e.g. lockout / tag-out, electrical safety, ergonomics, respiratory protection, industrial hygiene, laser safety, contractor safety, fire safety, powered industrial trucks, permit to work, inspections, risk assessments).
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to solve EHS related challenges and reduce risk during activities such as handling chemicals and hazardous waste, working with electrical equipment, working in confined spaces, etc.
- Partner with business groups to engage all employees in safety and sustainability programs.
- Perform EHS assessments for new processes and equipment that include risk assessments, confined space, lockout/tagout, ergonomics and machine guarding.
- Lead and manage EHS risk assessments for all parts of the business.
- Promote, reinforce and sustain a strong safety culture through engagement with site leadership and operational teams.
- Assist in the implementation of EHS management system elements for San Diego EHS.
- Chair site Safety Committee, Emergency Response Team, and Operational Excellence activities.
- Develop and deliver training and coaching programs which help develop strong EHS leaders.
- Investigate hazards, near misses and incidents with the goal of finding root causes and implementing ways to prevent recurrence.
- Lead in-house emergency response activities (incident command, equipment, training, drills).
- Support global safety initiatives and tools (policy, software tools, campaigns).
- Interface with regulatory agencies on assigned EHS matters.
- A minimum of 6 years of experience.
- A strong technical understanding of equipment and processes used in the life science industry and solid understanding of applying EHS regulations/standards/assessments at research and development, pilot plant, and production scale.
- Ability to support EHS programs in a fast paced, dynamic, cross functional and highly collaborative environment.
- Strong customer service, creativity, skills and ability to support "EHS Leader" culture which inspires others to desire and achieve EHS excellence.
- Experience and desire to build strong partnerships with employees and integrate a proactive safety culture throughout all levels of the organization.
- Energetic and positive enthusiasm disposition.
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Ability to show adaptability, prioritize and execute work among competing priorities.
- Effective educator and strong ability to interact with all levels of the organization.
- Minimum of BS Degree in Industrial Safety, Occupational Health & Safety, Industrial Hygiene, Environmental Sciences, Environmental Engineering, Biology, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering.
- Professional Safety Certification preferred (CSP, CHMM, CIH, etc.)
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.