This is a key role that requires strong problem-solving skills with excellent cross-team collaboration and communication. In addition to working with the Principal Network Engineer to configure, install and monitor all our network devices and software, you will also resolve issues that have escalated past tier one and tier two support by troubleshooting layer 2 and layer 3 issues across our cloud, co-lo and local infrastructure. Ruby offers a 24x7 service, and you will be part of the team rotation for after-hours and weekend support and troubleshooting.
Ruby’s work environment has changed dramatically over the last year and the needs of our network have also changed. This role will collaborate with the Principal Network Engineer to design the next generation of our network infrastructure to support improved redundancy, reliability and scale. Additionally, this role will help take our monitoring and security of our network infrastructure to the next level. You will also be responsible for maintaining our network documentation for our DR and troubleshooting processes.
The Senior Network Engineer will report to the VP, Engineering and is based in Portland, OR, but we’re open to fully remote for this position.
- Design and deploy functional networks (LAN, WLAN, WAN) that optimize for voice traffic quality and 24x7x365 availability
- Configure, troubleshoot and install software, servers, routers and other network devices
- Pro-actively monitor network performance and integrity
- Identify and resolve issues in Layer 2 and Layer 3 when service outages occur, during business hours and during after-hours support rotations
- Coordinate communication and collaborate with the product engineering teams and IT teams for maintenance and during outages
- Automate monitoring tasks for network health, security and maintenance
- Help with the selection and implementation of upgrades to our network infrastructure, from new firewalls, to expanded firewall rulesets to intrusion detection systems.
- Communicate with first tier support and users when needed to help troubleshoot and provide updates on issues.
- Create and maintain complete technical documentation of our network topology, our Disaster Recovery, security and troubleshooting processes.
- Suggest improvements to network performance, redundancy, capacity and scalability, particularly with respect to voice traffic quality.
Your Work DNA
- You have a bias towards action and make decisions after considering data and competing viewpoints.
- You’re curious and architectural in your thinking.
- You are proud of the work you do and want to work for a company that shares your values.
- Others would point to you as someone they’d love to work with, and your brilliant mind and innovative solutions inspire us all to do great work.
- You jump at the opportunity to pitch in and feed the greater good. No job is too big or small when you can lend a helping hand.
- You can extract big-picture ideas into workable processes and functional design.
- You can build infrastructure and processes from the ground up, as well as iterate legacy structures for continuous improvement.
- You love the fast-paced environment of a growth-stage company, and possess a scrappy, hands-on, roll-up-your-sleeves approach.
- Sharp troubleshooting skills and an engineer’s curiosity to logically breakdown systems until any issues are found and resolved.
- 6+ years industry-related experience as a Senior Network Engineer
- Solid understanding of and background in network operating systems, in particular Palo Alto, Cisco iOS, administration and architecture
- Experience with Palo Alto firewalls and VPNs
- Expert-level knowledge of IP and MAC layer protocols with the ability to install, troubleshoot, fix and improve L3 and L2 components.
- In-depth understanding of communication protocols (mainly TCP/IP) and routing protocols (e.g. VRRP, CARP, BGP, OSPF)
- Experience with VoIP SIP traffic, and optimization of networks for voice quality
- Familiarity with access control models and network security
- Experience with network diagnostic, monitoring and analysis tools, PRTG and SolarWinds a plus
- Working knowledge of Linux and Microsoft operating systems on both dedicated and virtual server platforms, VMware experience a plus
- Familiarity with AWS Networking tools (Direct Connect, Transit Gateway, Route 53, Elastic Load Balancing), and experience integrating with in-house network infrastructure a plus.
- Familiarity with Telephony PBX systems a plus (e.g. Interactive Intelligence, Genesys, etc)
- Professional certification (e.g. CCNP, CCDP) a plus