The Sr Director, User Experience Design will lead all aspects of the user experience including: design or user research, interaction design, prototyping, information architecture, visual design, and usability testings, for the Illumina user-facing digitalexperiences. In this role you will deliver against a large portfolio of initiatives, ensuring they meet user needs and business needs, and are useful, usable and delightful to Illumina users.
- Create a UX design process for the design and development teams, based on design thinking.
- Create and lead user experience design teams.
- Ability to translate abstract concepts and problems into simple, elegant, and innovative designs
- Seek, analyze, apply and advocate based on user insights (based on user research, analytics and marketing requirements) to inform and shape digital user experiences through the entire suite of products both for Illumina's internal and external customers.
- Surface risks and interdependencies within portfolio, projects and systems and work with partners to identify and implement plausible solutions/contingency plans.
- Evangelizes User Experience thought leadership in the organization.
- Mentors and develops talent within the organization
The successful candidate will have:
- Exceptional design talents with a portfolio that evidences stylistic breadth that demonstrates sensitivity to diverse subject matter, design targets and media (web/mobile/brand).
- 10+ years relevant work experience in digital user experience product design field with at least 5 years of team leadership experience
- Knowledge and experience with Design Thinking
- Experience creating products for professionals in the life sciences, health care, or a technical field highly desirable
- College degree in User Experience, Digital Design, Industrial Design, Psychology, Cognitive Sciences, Anthropology, Human Computer Interaction, and/or equivalent degree or experience
- Self-motivation with excellent communication skills, an open mind, the ability to thrive in multidisciplinary teams and the skills to balance great design with short deadlines.
- Web analytics and statistics, with tools like Google Analytics or Adobe Site Catalyst.
Strong presentation skills and the ability to interact with and win support from varying levels cross-company
- Passion for creating great products and improving human health